Cypress Creek Railroad

Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Looking just gorgeous. Love how you put Roadside Delights on two levels. I just can't wait to see your layout. Beautiful job on one of my favorites. Bonney Wrenches. I have the signs and all the casting pulled for it. Might build it someday.

Karl

Erieman

Steve, You work is absolutely beautiful and impressive. I know you are spending a lot of time working on your railroad creation. I wonder if you thought about adding LED lighting to your structures. I have been hesitant for many years, but finally got in to it and i like the results. It just adds so much more to the illusion you are creating. Just wondering. Keep up the beautiful work.

Frank / Erieman

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the positive feedback!

Karl, Bonney Wrenches is a favorite of mine as well. KC's workshop has a bare-bones kit for it, that's what I used here.

Frank, I really like lit up structures but it's really time consuming and I find it a little too frustrating. I added full lighting on my O'Neills/Quincy Salvage diorama with full interiors in all the structures and it was a lot of work. I ran all the lights through tubing into scale goosenecks and it looked pretty good but the lights ended up not working after a little while and its really tough to service them. I did drill holes in most of the bases for the structures in case I want to add some lighting in the future. If I do it'll be a simplified lighting setup with a LED or 2 just to light up some of the interiors. We'll see...

This is how I ended up lighting up the salvage yard. I really thought this was a cool picture.

Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Erieman

Quote from: SteveCuster on February 03, 2021, 03:31:48 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the positive feedback!

Karl, Bonney Wrenches is a favorite of mine as well. KC's workshop has a bare-bones kit for it, that's what I used here.

Frank, I really like lit up structures but it's really time consuming and I find it a little too frustrating. I added full lighting on my O'Neills/Quincy Salvage diorama with full interiors in all the structures and it was a lot of work. I ran all the lights through tubing into scale goosenecks and it looked pretty good but the lights ended up not working after a little while and its really tough to service them. I did drill holes in most of the bases for the structures in case I want to add some lighting in the future. If I do it'll be a simplified lighting setup with a LED or 2 just to light up some of the interiors. We'll see...

This is how I ended up lighting up the salvage yard. I really thought this was a cool picture.

This picture is truly amazing and the lighting just completes the scene. LED lighting is frustrating and time comsuming, but and that is a big BUT, worth all the time you put into the scene. Your work is super fine.
I have been lurking on the forum, not posting much. I am trying to finish, if there is such a phrase, to complete my  layout before i have to downsize. Getting old is not fun, unless you are in the train room.

Frank / Erieman

SteveCuster

I really appreciate the kind words Frank! Do you have any updated pictures of the layout? I'd love to see where you're at these days.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

Steve:

The car shop look really great. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

GPdemayo

The details you added are really first rate Steve.....well done.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Steve,

Great photo and shop details. Looks very authentic.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

Erieman

Quote from: SteveCuster on February 04, 2021, 07:40:46 AM
I really appreciate the kind words Frank! Do you have any updated pictures of the layout? I'd love to see where you're at these days.
Steve,

Send me a PM with your email address and ill send you some links and recent photos.

Frank / Erieman

Jerry

What a great picture.  And the detail why I love this layout!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!

If anyone was following my other thread building the FSM Branchline Coaling Station I explained how I had plans to place the coaling station directly to the right of Mortons Foundry. Once I started assembling the FSM kit I realized it was much larger than I had originally thought and it really overpowered the scene. I try to never shelf a kit I start if I intend to ever finish it so I took a detour and finished the kit before working on the area of the layout I've been working on again.

Yesterday I was able to get back on track completing the area I've been documenting here. Lots of small details to add and scenes to finish.

I added a metal fence around the top of the walls here. It's from Central Valley. Of course the area still needs something.

I added some vegetation and a few telephone poles. These telephone poles are from RIX. They have notches on the front for different crossbar positions which is nice except if you pick the highest one you still have 4 notches that are pretty noticeable to me. That's why they are facing the rear of the layout.

Adding more scenery, a few details and moving towards the front of the layout..

I added a few more details around this little building. I also built this truck w/ tractor from Wheel Works.

The area to the right of the gas station felt a little empty so I added this billboard. I used the billboard from the FSM Roadside Delights kit but the sign itself I found on the internet.

I added the plaster for the road that will run up over the tracks here and into my FSM Cartwrights Machine Shop. Tomorrow when it dries I'll start detailing and coloring the road.

Thanks for following along.

Steve Custer