Cypress Creek Railroad

Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Steve

I spent some time this evening getting caught up with your build thread, beautiful work. I love all the details. I look forward to your continued progress.  Thank you for sharing this with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

I have lots of castings too. Bought them over many years.

Karl

cuse

Steve,

I've said it before, but your coloring and weathering are fantastic! Nobody captures "dusty" like you - my hay fever acts up whenever you post pics.

I've got a load of unused castings too (they're easier than kits to fly back from EXPOs and NNGC's with). My long-term plan, once I complete a couple more buildings is to spend many happy years littering my layout with details (as liberally as you do) and funky narrow gauge rolling stock and vehicles.

John

Jerry

Steve

Wow that is some really nice detailing work.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks John, I really appreciate it! I try to trust my gut when it comes to coloring and weathering and it just comes out dirty and dusty. Just what feels right to me.

Thanks a lot Jerry! I really enjoy detailing little scenes. It's probably my favorite portion of the hobby.

Small update today just to show the direction I'm headed at the moment.

I glued Chippy Hollow in it's home and back filled the area between the tracks with some plaster. This is always tricky but I cover the structure with some paper to help avoid any plaster blobs. Also the plaster is mixed THICK.

I started mapping out the road with a sharpie.

I thought this area was a little too flat and boring so I started building it up with some foam. I try to never go more than a few inches without some sort of up or down in the scenery between structures.

Built it up some more.

I added some filler next to the station.

Sort of an idea of how the scene will flow. The areas in the front will be the station and the branchline bucket coaling station.

I covered the foam with brown dyed plaster and stuck a few rock castings in it while it was still wet.

Basecoat of plaster for the road.

Plaster road is colored and the first base of dirt is down.

I started adding the layering of foam and debris..still wet in this photo. I plan on having this little hill covered in trees, bushes and sticks.

That's all for now...Once I get the hill detailed I can add the station and start tying everything together.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

wow really looking great. Just can't wait to see it in person.

Karl

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

You are quite welcome.

Karl

SteveCuster

I added some more foliage to the little hill here.

I'm almost done working on this area next step will be working towards to front.
Steve Custer

Bruce Oberleitner

Damn Steve, you have one mighty fine looking railroad!

;D ;D ;D

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

cuse

Steve,

This is one of my favorite threads/layouts. Your eye for color & texture is really outstanding and so consistently applied. What I mean by that "consistently applied" is what I felt at George's F&SM...the weathering and color palette (not to mention the unimaginable level of detail) is so consistent across the whole layout - it's like he applied the overall weathering thru a sprinkler system  ??? Ok, getting carried away.

SteveCuster

Thanks John! I'm glad you like what I'm doing. George is my original modeling influence and still probably my biggest one so the comparison is flattering. I still reference George's original book often if I'm stuck trying to figure out how to transition from one area to the next or just for some mini scene ideas.
Steve Custer

Jerry

One of my favorite RR.  Just love the way you take a building and detail it into a natural looking setting.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln