Cypress Creek Railroad

Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

Top drawer work as always, Steve. Love seeing this large scale placement take place.

Jerry

Steve so good to see a new post.  Great work and laying out of the new area!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

SteveCuster

I started adding some details to the newest area of the layout over the last few days. I also got some base color to the concrete down.

The concrete has to first bit of weathering. I'm running into an issue where either the wet water or the thinned glue is causing some discoloration on my concrete roads. I have to do a few experiments as to why it's happening. I'll be able to hide this with some dirt, weeds and maybe a few vehicles in the meantime.

I liked the way the concrete walkway came out. It was entirely by accident that it got some broken up. When I was carving it all of the plaster started falling apart, I glued it back down and it ended up a pretty beat up walkway.

I started adding a few details around the structures.

I'm not sure where this tank came from but I made the concrete base from a block of green foam coated in some of the stucco from liquitex.

More junk on the other side.

I painted a whole ton of castings and when I went to add them I couldn't find many of them. Turns out I forgot I put them in another box so I'll be adding a bunch more next time I get to working on this area.

I have a pretty big scratchbuild I'm working on for the other area of the layout. It's nearly complete so that will fill in a large area on the backside. Hopefully I'll be finishing up this weekend for that one.

Thanks for following along everyone.
Steve Custer

Bruce Oberleitner

Steve,
Awesome work!  I am always impressed with how you are able to blend all these different scenic elements together.  Your layout just looks beautiful.

Brucer

8) 8) 8)

Janbouli

Very very nice , pavement looks great and so do the shrubs and bushes.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Everything looks great Steve.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

PaulS

Another great update Steve !!
Again everything blends together so well.  And really like the base and the tank, weathering is spot on to my eye.
Looking forward to seeing the additional details and your scratch build ...
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

NKP768

As Bob Ross said "These are happy accidents"

Great work Steve

Doug

Jerry

Steve another wonderful update.  The concrete coloring is prefect and the cracked sidewalk right on.

Just love following this thread so interesting on how you do things!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Just went through all 20 pages checking out pictures and progress. Looking just beautiful so far. Can't wait to actually see the RR.

Karl

SteveCuster

Thanks Karl!

I just semi-finished one of the larger structures for the rear area of the layout.

This is one of the structures that I used to clear out some of my spare parts box. Windows are mostly Tichy, doors are FSM castings from Railroadkits. The stone base walls are FSM castings from Wilfred Brambell's I believe. I didn't have enough stone castings for the whole structure so I made a few resin copies and used those on the rear of the structure. They aren't nearly as clean but they won't be really visible.

The rooftop cyclones are from Jennings Lumber from SS LTD. I find it easier to confine my build to the limitations of some of the castings I already have, These castings were made for a specific roof pitch so I used that pitch for this project. Same rules applied to the stone base, I could only make the clapboard walls as long as the stone base was.

This area isn't really finished being detailed, will need some trucks and other things but I can detail it once I set it in place on the layout and I'd rather do that.

The Gold Medal sign I found on the internet.

The dust collector is also from Jennings Lumber.

That's all 4 sides of it.

It's going to sit about right here. It will be about 3" higher and I'm planning on having a little river in front of it.

Another shot to give an idea of placement.

I didn't get super crazy with detailing it because it's sitting pretty far back and it's going to have a whole town of structures in front of it.

Thanks for following along. I'm going to try to continue building towards the left of this structure to fill that back area.

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Looking just beautiful as always. Love the colors you used on Pierce Baking. Roof looks great too.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Really nice, Steve.

Another great addition.  It will be fun watching this area take shape.

Cheers, Mark.