My winter project - Oakley Street Chicago

Started by bparrish, November 06, 2017, 03:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Bob

This is just a great project - I really like all the little details.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Rail and Tie

Very fine piece of kit there Bob!  Really liking how this diorama is turning out. Great work!

Reminds me of a little CD diorama I was planning to make for a contest a few years back but never got finished. I wanted to show the elevated railroad, ground level and the Beach Pneumatic Railroad undeground along with sewers electrical, subway and a few dinosours in the core out.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Not even sure how to comment on everything you have done without leaving something out. 

Your small details are great, taking the level to the tiny street signs is outstanding.  The passenger and freight cars are wonderful, too. 

Superb historical modeling!
Jerry

bparrish

Starting to size up for trees.  I'll fill them out and plant them tomorrow.......... no wait....... it's late ! !

Later today.

My marching orders are as follows:  paint loco, finish trees, finish candy wagon in center street, make awnings, create vanishing point on the back drop, all by the 24th.  That is when the spring meet for Division 3 of the PNR-NMRA.

No pressure ! ! ! !

see ya
Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Lynnb

Wow this is one amazing project, very interesting and I must say I learned something, I didn't realize they didn't use tie plates pre 1900's.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

bparrish

Lynn....

I think the absence of tie plates was two fold: they knewthey were to be using ratiely light equipment and also, the were on a limited budget.  None of the elected railroads in Chicago were very profitable. 

Thanx for looking in.
Bob

bparrish

This afternoon was the upholstering of the trees.

The candy wagon is on the bench getting its sign and some paint.

More later.

see ya
Bob

bparrish

Got the work flat done and detailed.

Getting down to the small stuff.

see ya
Bob

Janbouli

Magnificent detailing on the flat.  Love it Bob
I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

bparrish

So here goes with the last of the major detail stuff.

I made up frames for the four awnings in the photo.  Three are all on south facing store fronts and one facing west.

I started with .030" brass wire and pulled them into loops and soldered the support legs on the bottom.  The wire is WAY out of scale but when done none of it will be seen.  Because this has to go on two road trips, local and regional in June, these buildings need to be pretty stout.

I have made up the printed edges of the awnings with paper but the larger tops will be fabric that I can shape from the underside with white glue for wrinkles and such.

see ya
Bob

ACL1504

Bob,

Very well done on the awning supports.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Janbouli

What an excellent idea for the awnings.
I love photo's, don't we all.