Bob,
Just found your project today. 
All I can say outstanding
To me scratch building in HO scale takes a lot of patience
Count on me to keep following this build

Mike Sigmon

tct855

Bob,
       Very incredible and informative and professional build thread.  Please! continue sir with my veneration!  Thanx Thom...

bparrish

Thank you all for looking in.

I got some painting done yesterday...............

I'll put up some photos soon.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

bparrish

Here is a perspective close to the source photo with the buildings painted. Still need a lot of detail stuff.

see ya
Bob

bparrish

Here are some closer of the buildings.

They still need a lot of detail stuff........ including painting the stairs.

see ya
Bob

PRR Modeler

Beautiful modeling.  Did you scratch build the shutters?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

bparrish

Curt...

The shutters are also from Tichy Train Group.  They are listed in a separate area on their page.

They are a little difficult in selecting the correct ones for which windows.  I think they only have two sizes for the shutters but they have a ton of different window offerings.

The shutters are a help in dating the buildings in Chicago.  They were popular after the 1850's and fell out of style by about 1885.  Given when the plat was drawn for that area, 1851, most of that street was built up in the late 1860's and early  70's.  Lake street was not paved until nearly 1900.  Recall this photo is from September 1893.  In 1912 they put a trolley line under the scaffolding.

Further,  there were two major east / west streets just to the south of Lake Street that got way more attention.  I think Lake Street was chosen by the West Side Railroad company, later Lake Street Elevated Railroad, as the street was hardly more than an alley of commercial buildings.  The street was much narrower than those to the south.

The South Side Elevated company was clearly called the "Alley El" as it was almost entirely in the alleys because of the residential area it went through.  I think they had "Not in my back yard" going on then also. 

The Wabash side of the Loop in the downtown was finished much later due to merchant resistance to the scaffolding darkening the streets.

Thanx for looking in.
Bob

rpdylan

such a great project Bob, I'm enjoying this thread! I gotta look for the elevated components at Springfield!
Bob C.

donatode

Bob, I'm just flabbergasted with your build. Anxiously waiting on your next installment.

bparrish

So here are three shots of Ritter Pharmacy on the near left of the photo.

The only thing that is visible is the mortar and pistil sign and the door step.  That was the clue that the corner was chopped on a diagonal.

This building needs a lot more help but it is getting there.

The next step is the building on the opposite side to the right.  There is nothing in the source photo but I'm using the Sanborns to get something there.

see ya
Bob

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jan Kirkwood

Bob you do really beautiful work, it is a real pleasure to watch your thread.

Jan

bparrish

So I'm back at the bench.

Two weeks away and you boys didn't give away the store ! ! !

Proud of ya......

I got the roofs done and the glass in.  Glass is my least favorite thing.  A whole afternoon is shown below.

see ya
Bob

tct855

BP~,

Kudos to you for such a cool build.  Nice step by step pics.  I enjoy visiting from time to time.  Thanx Thom...