My winter project - Oakley Street Chicago

Started by bparrish, November 06, 2017, 03:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

Same here Bob , not much fun in  glass, unless it's a glass of your favorite beverage  ;D
I love photo's, don't we all.

bparrish

Here are two perspective photos of the project.

Working today on small detail and signs.

see ya
Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

This is turning into one amazing scene Bob.....great work.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Bruce Oberleitner

Yo Bob,
As always you do awesome work!  I guess there's no point in putting anything in the next model building contest around these parts with this little gem probably coming to the show! 

Hehe

Anyway, any chance I could stop by some weekend and see this in person? 

bparrish

Bruce...

Come by any time.

I may not have it done for the spring meet.  I do need to have it ready for the regional in Portland in late May.

see ya
Bob

ACL1504

Bob,

This is one great diorama. I'm loving it all the way.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bruce Oberleitner

Quote from: bparrish on February 10, 2018, 05:57:05 PM
Bruce...

Come by any time.

I may not have it done for the spring meet.  I do need to have it ready for the regional in Portland in late May.

see ya
Bob

Planning on taking it to Portland are you?  What a great idea!   But I do have to remind you that you only need to earn your MMR certificate once for it to count. 

;D ;D ;D

bparrish

Yes,...  I know. 

Tom reminds me of that regularly. 

This will be certificate #9. 

See ya
Bob

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Bob

This is really looking great. As always, I'm enjoying your thread.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

bparrish

I knew this was going to happen.......

It out grew my bench.

I scored a piece 2'  of rigid insulation foam and clamped it to a small table that I use for my lathe.

I ran the lathe for most of the afternoon and cranked out the apothecary mortar and pistil and  the parts for the arc street light.  More on that tomorrow.

Here are a few photos below.

see ya
Bob

rpdylan

really nice work!  you know, if i put a model on a piece of foam like that near the layout, I would knock it over after a few minutes! (yup, I belong to the #11 club and the dropped model club)!
Bob C.

bparrish

Yesterday afternoon and some this morning were given to turning brass for a sign and a lamp post.

The apothecary piece is two parts with a wire that will poke into the front of the building over the door.  It is only barely visible in the left of the source photo.

The lamp post is an electric arc light.  They were popular in the 1890's but took a lot of maintenance.  There was a glass globe that would run low of oxygen which made the carbon sticks last longer.  They were very high maintenance however.  Another complaint was that they were VERY bright and spoiled night vision when walking and turned into a shadow.

Below is a close up of and arc light in Chicago from a different location that I used as the design for the one I made.  The glass globe is a clear bead that I use on trolley wire for insulators.

see ya
Bob

PRR Modeler

Wow. That is really nice work on such small parts.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision