Delaware & Northern Construction version 1.0

Started by jerryrbeach, February 05, 2018, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

The backdrops are painted.  Time for the track layers to get to work and get this thing ready for some trains.
Jerry

ACL1504

Jerry,

Very nice room space. I like how you added the back drop, turned out nice.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tct855

J~,
       Coming along nicely sir!  I like how you've overcome certain challenges throughout this whole process.  Keep up the great work here and look forward to the next process. Beautiful!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Thanx Thom...

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 13, 2021, 09:01:18 AM
Jerry,

Very nice room space. I like how you added the back drop, turned out nice.

Tom  ;D

Tom,

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm planning to use photos printed from a commercial backdrop disc once I have a better idea of where I want my horizon line and have made some decisions on where I will have hills, etc. 
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: tct855 on March 13, 2021, 09:23:54 AM
J~,
       Coming along nicely sir!  I like how you've overcome certain challenges throughout this whole process.  Keep up the great work here and look forward to the next process. Beautiful!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Thanx Thom...

Thom,

Thanks for the nice comment.  There are definitely some challenges and a lot of compromises to get even a portion of what I want to model to fit into this space.  IMO everything has been worth the effort as I see progress being made.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

I have the track laid on the Shaverville side of the layout.  It was relatively easy because I had already finished the town portion on two of the modules.  They're the ones with the brown painted foam.  I had to replace some pieces of track that were removed when I separated those two modules.  (They were set up in the corner of the dining room last winter.)   The area inside the loop will eventually be a wood acid factory.  That's a long term project based on the size of the undertaking and will be almost completely scratch built.  It will probably be the last thing finished on the layout, assuming of course that I do manage to finish it. 

I also shot a photo of some of the "tools" I have found most useful in the layout construction.  My little shop vac is great.  It is so small and light it is easy to use on both the floor and the layout.  The roll around cart helps keep tools and parts close at hand as well as helping to keep a lot of stuff off the layout itself.  I used an old cup hook to hang the Dremel tool under the layout.  It is easy to leave the tool itself hanging on the hook and use the flex shaft to cut track to length.  I have a hook on the other side of the aisle as well.  You can also see the power strip mounted on one of the leg braces.  There's one of those on the opposite side of the aisle, too.  The power strips make it easy to plug in anything without crawling under the layout to reach a wall outlet.  A plus is that I can use the switch on the power strips to shut off power to everything plugged into the strips especially my power packs.  Two other things that make construction easier on my old bones are a step stool with large steps with lots of standing space (Harbor Freight) that make it easy for me to fasten track near the back of the 30" wide layout sections.  The second is a rolling mechanics seat I use for working under the layout, especially useful for running wire.   
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Jerry:

Looks like you're off to A good start. I'm following along.

Karl S

GPdemayo

Great start Jerry.....your neatness is putting some of us to shame.  ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Jerry,

Very nice start indeed. You have all the necessary tools right handy. I'm looking forward to this build.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

Morning Jerry what a great start.  For sure I'll be following along on your adventure.

Will there be a farm & cows or do have enough of that in real life??  :)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jerryrbeach

Quote from: postalkarl on March 16, 2021, 08:46:54 AM
Hey Jerry:

Looks like you're off to A good start. I'm following along.

Karl S

Thanks, Karl.  Seems like it took forever to get the bench work done.  Hopefully with track laying started things will proceed smoothly.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 16, 2021, 09:33:17 AM
Great start Jerry.....your neatness is putting some of us to shame.  ;D ;D ;D

Greg,

Trust me, when I am laying track it becomes somewhat of a mess.  Still, it is easy to pick up after because I have the cart and a set of old bookshelves under the yard portion of the layout.  I've found having some storage space helps keep the top of the layout cleaner.   This is a self defense mechanism because when it gets messy I cannot find my tools.  ;D
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 16, 2021, 01:53:07 PM
Jerry,

Very nice start indeed. You have all the necessary tools right handy. I'm looking forward to this build.

Tom  ;D

Tom,

Thanks.  I learned about keeping my tools on hand and my steps in order by following your thread. 
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: Jerry on March 17, 2021, 09:11:50 AM
Morning Jerry what a great start.  For sure I'll be following along on your adventure.

Will there be a farm & cows or do have enough of that in real life??  :)

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the kind words.  I wish I had the space for lots of farms on the layout.  Alas, right now I only have spots picked out for a couple.  Of course I do have feed mills and creameries as a consolation.  ;D
Jerry

postalkarl