Holland Odessa R.R.

Started by Jim Donovan, March 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

The Bandstand looks just great. Man I can't wait to see this when it's finished.

Karl

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 15, 2021, 11:33:39 PM
Wow Jim, That came out Gorgeous. Dennis

Thanks Dennis;
I am having a blast with this project. Not only am I learning a lot but I am  building a library of cut files for all the parts which I will be able to use on future projects as well.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

Quote from: postalkarl on March 16, 2021, 08:42:39 AM
Hey Jim:

Looks like you're off to A good start on this one. I'm following along.

Karl S

Thanks for following along Karl, great to have you.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 16, 2021, 09:29:34 AM
Skeeter's is looking good Jim..... 8)

Thanks Greg, it is a fun project with lots more to go.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 16, 2021, 02:00:01 PM
Jim,

Great progress all the way. I've been lurking for some time. Nice job on the to layout marriage.

Tom  ;D

Thanks Tom, thanks for stopping by. I still need to actually join the two sections of the layout but will need to put at least one frog juicer in place. I hope to get to that after I finish the Hotel scene and Skeeters.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on March 17, 2021, 12:25:24 PM
Jim,
Remember that Skeeter's kit when it came out...Dave Frary had a pile of them at a show in the Midwest we attended many years ago...
...it was a neat looking structure...good luck on your scratch built version...
Tommy

Tommy thanks for stopping by. Before I started this kit I tried to track down the person who originally designed it. Dave Frary made the initial model so I contacted him but never heard back. I think the kit is really interesting and a little different. A turn of the century chemical factory, I have not decided what it will make but I am leaning towards calling it Skeeters Fly Dope, the guy who designed this kit deserves it.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Rail and Tie on March 17, 2021, 01:00:30 PM
munching on popcorn, waiting for the next scene!

Hi Darryl;

Great to see you and hope you enjoy the journey on this one.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Continuing work on the chemical factory I was able to make and install all the tilt out windows in the upper sections. I used styrene for the windows and sprayed them with Matte varnish to cause them to fog. I think they came out pretty good. By being fogged I don't need to worry about seeing inside.

All the other windows were installed. These are Tichy windows and are the same used on the original. These windows all have individual glass panes placed where the acetate plastic normally goes. It took some time but I like the look. To hold the glass in place I us UV activated CA glue. Just a very little is placed in each corner of the frame, the window is placed and then a UV flashlight glues the glass to the frame.

Jim Donovan

I am using Tim Holtz Distressed Acrylic crayons for weathering on this project. I have seen them used in military modeling and thought I would give them a try. They certainly allow for multiple layering and being acrylic can be moved, lighted or removed with water. Once I am done I will spray a thin coat of Matte varnish to lock everything in place. So here is how all looks now.

And here is a peek at where it will be on the layout:

That is it for now.

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

the building looks just great. Can't wait for more pics.

Karl

GPdemayo

Like the structure placement Jim.....hopefully we can get up there with the kit in April.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Hello Jim, the building looks great on the layout, can't wait to see the finished scene.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

GPdemayo

Hey Jim.....thanks to you, Deb and the pup for a great visit and warm hospitality yesterday. The layout looks really great in person, rather than thru the lens of a camera. Your plans for the empire are exciting and the structures and scenery look great. I am anxious to see what you come up with using that 3d printer and cutter. The things you showed us were very terrific and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you get thru the learning curve. Next time..... 8) 
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL