The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on June 30, 2019, 07:44:59 PM
Tom

The plexiglass looks great.  I just bought some plexiglass for my control panels and left the store with a much lighter wallet.  Can I ask where you bought it and cost?  I have a number of areas on the S&S RR that need the same type of protection.

John,

Thank you. It was a bit pricey and I'll go into more detail on the Lexan/plexiglass this evening.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: DennisBourey on June 30, 2019, 09:52:09 PM
Tom, Nice looking layout sir..... Dennis

Dennis,

Thank you for the kind compliment on the layout. If you are ever in the Orlando area stop in for a visit. Since June, 2017,  I've had 96 visitors. I think 10-12 have been forum members.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Oldguy on June 30, 2019, 10:18:27 PM
Those are fantastic scenes and photos.

Bob,

Thank you very much for the compliment. It has been an enjoyable adventure.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

I'll take you up on that!!!!!!!!! Beautiful area. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Quote from: DennisBourey on July 01, 2019, 01:17:33 PM
I'll take you up on that!!!!!!!!! Beautiful area. Dennis

Dennis,

You are welcome anytime. Just make sure I'll be here. Call or PM.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

I've been referring to the clear fascia as Plexiglass out of habit. It is actually a polycarbonate called Lexan. This stuff ain't cheap. Both Lowe's and Home Depot sell it in 36" X 48" pieces. I'm not sure about Home Depot but Lowe's no longer offers this product in 4X8 sheets.

At Lowe's a 36" X 48" piece sells for $103.00 and the same size is offered by Home Depot for about $87.00. I used my Lowe's CC and got 5% off.

When I checked Home Depot all the pieces were scratched or the protective film was missing or half torn off. The ones at Lowe's were perfect. The protective film is to protect the surface until you get it cut and in place.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LEXAN-30-in-x-36-in-Clear-Polycarbonate-Sheet/3142233

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I cut the strips on my 10" blade table saw and the Lexan didn't burn or chip. I did use a very fine tooth saw blade, 160 tooth blade to cut the Lexan. This is where the protective film comes in handy. The film protects the surface while cutting.

I used a 7/64 drill bit to drill the hole through the Lexan and into the layout fascia. I then used #6 pan head phillips sheet metal screws. Yes, sheet metal screws! They have a course thread but most importantly they had a smooth round head. This prevents any clothing material getting caught  like may happen with a wood screw head.

For a little extra tight fit, I use a #8 flat washer. The #8 is plenty and a #10 washer has a hole larger than the #6 screw head.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I did finish the Lexan fascia and here is how it looks. I'm experimenting with a larger format photo, not sure I like it.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Now the structure on the edge of the Suwannee River Lagoon is protected.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Tom, Up here in NH it shows $93 but only 30"x 36" expensive. Look's good though......... Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ReadingBob

Now you're going to have to deal with fingerprints all over that nice clean Lexan.   :D  Not sayin' who might do such a dastardly deed but there will be no denying it when you lift them and run them.  ;D  ;D 

The trees and structures are protected!  Great job! 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

It looks awesome Tom. Are you going to put something on the top where 2 sheets meet to keep them uniform?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

MAP

Looks great Tom!  Now this section of the layout is protected from any human "hurricanes" that might come through!
Mark

tct855

ACL 1504,
           Tom...  man! I absolutely enjoy visiting your thread to see your progress on your layout.  You are truly a master modeler in every sense one can describe. You are without a dubious explicate of lofty inspiration my friend.

I've got to get off my phat arse and get way down there to witness this awe inspiring layout soon-real soon.  Keep doin' yur mission bro.  Love the work, love the work!  Thanx Thom... P.S. now where did I put my libation at???