The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on March 22, 2021, 08:41:59 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on March 19, 2021, 06:02:04 PM

I've been selling Jim Miller's stuff on Ebay and that requires some time.

I can attest to that.  Dismantling and trying to sell off a friend's layout who passed away unexpectedly.  Spent the afternoon organizing sections of flex track and switches.  Hope to sell a bunch this week.

Larry,

All I can say is that I feel your pain. Selling the train items for Claire is one thing but helping her take down the layout Jim so loved working one was very rough on both Claire and me. :'(

Thanks for stopping by and posting a comment.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on March 22, 2021, 09:19:21 AM
Wow!!  Tom you've come along way with the RR.

Love the before and after picture.

You have done a beautiful job with this creation of yours.

Jerry

Jerry,

Seems like yesterday when the old one came down. Thank you Jerry for the nice compliment.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jim Donovan on March 22, 2021, 10:45:20 AM
Tom;

You are an inspiration for us less experienced modelers. Glad I met you and love following along. You truly do incredible work. Thanks for sharing.

Jim D

Jim,

And others on the forum are an inspiration for me. Very happy we met and you had the opportunity to see the A&S RR up close.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Today was water pour day for the A&S RR. I didn't give it much chance as the day started off cool and wet. I wanted it poured today so I let the dehumidifier run a few hours to warm the room and remove any moisture.

As I mentioned a few months ago, I'm using a product called Magic Water by Unreal Details. It is a two part resin mix.

This is the same material I used in the Suwannee River Lagoon area, shown below.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The larger "B" bottle was hard when removed. If you aren't  familiar with this product, you'd think you got a bad batch of the stuff. Part "B" mix in both my bottles were hard and white/creamy colored.

Do not worry about this, it is natural. To fix it and get it back to a clear liquid state, simply put it in the microwave.

NOTE: Read the directions as it states microwave at 10 second intervals until it is clear.

In the photo below, the bottle on the left has been nuked (now clear) and the one on the right shows the milky white color.

Back in a few, grabbing a cold Diet Pepsi.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I got a cheap mixing bowl from the $$ Store. I poured both bottles of "A" and "B" in the bowl. The directions call for mixing the resin for 5 minutes and when done, mix/stir for another 5 minutes.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After all the mixing and prep work, the resin water was poured.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

It dries in about 24 hours and a few days to completely cure. I love this product as it won't crack, dry out or yellow with age. It cures to a very hard rubber like feel. It can be poured up to 1/2 thick and can be poured on top of itself when the other layer is dry.

Like water it seeks it's own level. I haven't decided if I'll add another layer to this one. A decision for next week.  ???

More on this resin water later when it is cured.

Done for today.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

EricQuebec

Love it.
I've the same result with Envirotex (resin form liquitex brand)

Eric

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looks just great. I always enjoy the photos of your RR. Keep up the good work.

Karl

GPdemayo

The water looks terrific Tom.....can't wait to see it up close.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

NKP768

Zephyrus52246

Water looks good so far.  Does the stuff have an odor before drying?

Jeff

ACL1504

Quote from: EricQuebec on March 22, 2021, 06:30:51 PM
Love it.
I've the same result with Envirotex (resin form liquitex brand)

Eric

Eric,

Thank you. I've used Envirotex in the past and it always yellowed with age. This is why I went to Magic Water as it dries clear and stays clear.

Is Liquitex a new version of the old Envirotex?

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com