The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

I feel kind of bad for being the cause of a track relocation project in Tahpoe.   :(  Lowering the height of the base shouldn't be too bad.  The only tricky spot is beneath the pole behind the garage because of the wires that run down the back of the pole for the light. 

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on May 09, 2021, 06:47:22 PM
And that FOS Apartment complex is just the Bomb!  How do you get so lucky in having people show up with gifts like that for your railroad?  Are you sure your not putting a little extra something in their "Diet Pepsi?"

Diet Pepsi wouldn't have done it Bruce.  I was a Diet Coke man for many years but kicked that habit a few years back.  Now it's mostly water, unsweetened iced tea and a few things with a bit more of an edge to them.   ;)  I did get a jar of great salsa in return for the apartment building.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: Janbouli on May 09, 2021, 06:45:14 AM
Wow , what an incredible gift .

Jan,

Thanks for stopping by. It incredible for sure and I have several of Reading Bob's kit builds on the layout. Some mine he built, some we traded a kit for a build and some like this one gifted.

What's even better is that he lives in Central Florida. Our good friend Jim Miller introduced us some 12 years ago.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on May 09, 2021, 08:40:53 AM
To be so lucky to have to make this decision!  Wonderful building to go to a beautiful RR.

Jerry

Jerry,

You are correct here on this matter. Thank you for the compliment on both the building and layout, much appreciated.

Tom   ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 09, 2021, 09:05:39 AM
Tahope is perfect for that grand structure Tom..... 8)

Greg,

Downtown Tahope is the perfect spot for Watcher's Apt. We have a snitch in one of the apartments that will report to Officer Poovey any miscreants.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on May 09, 2021, 03:57:45 PM
QuoteAlthough this location was considered for about 30 minutes, it is wrong for all the right reasons.

I really like the wonderful structure in the first location, Tom.  What were all the 'right' reasons?

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

Reading Bob did a professional build on this one as he does on all his kit builds.

It was wrong as it is big and the track needs to be displaced. And, right as it fits the the area, looks fantastic, is a large downtown apartment and gives Tahope the old Southern charm of a small rural city building.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Uncle Tommie,
Those are some wonderfull additions going on to the railroad!  I remember that scrapyard building from the contest on the "Old Forum".  I hope the old "Tom Loves Pam" sign will be prominently seen in its new home.

The Judges house looks very cool.  I guess the Judge will have to come up with a story about the house and why its located where it is on the railroad.

And that FOS Apartment complex is just the Bomb!  How do you get so lucky in having people show up with gifts like that for your railroad?  Are you sure your not putting a little extra something in their "Diet Pepsi?"

;D ;D :o

Cousin Brucie,

This was a fun build and I'm very happy to be able to use it now on the new A&S RR. Yes, absolutely the fence will be used on this location as well.

As for the gift. I'm paying Reading Bob's son not to  move so Bob can't build a railroad in that bedroom. Bob said better have it here than stored in his garage. I certainly agree with that.

Bob used to drink Diet Coke but gave it up. I tried to give up Diet Pepsi and did for about 6 weeks. I got so grumpy, one day the Babe came home with some Diet Pepsi. Since that time it has been smooth sailing on the sea of matrimony.  :-*

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Judge on May 10, 2021, 06:00:09 PM
The "Judge's Quarters" is actually the home of the local Justice of the Peace.  (The main courthouse will be located in the Tahope City Hall)  These non-lawyer judges handled minor traffic cases and traffic-related misdemeanors.  They also handled preliminary hearings.  They had a law enforcement officer known as the Constable.  The office was funded from the fines levied, which meant the not guilty verdicts were few and far between.  The JP's were elected every four years so they somehow had to be politically acceptable to the voters.  We had one in Sanford who decided he would seize a little jurisdiction and help out poor people who couldn't afford a lawyer for a divorce.  He would have the people bring in their marriage license to his court and stamp "CANCELLED" on it over his signature.  Fortunately, nobody was charged with bigamy, but Florida land titles are so screwed up in some local communities it still requires a quiet title suit to sell the property.

I'm not making this up.  The JP's were abolished in 1968 in favor of a unified statewide court system.

Yes, Bill is in fact telling the truth. I have a JP story of my own and it is the truth as well.

While a student in Gainesville, Fl and UF, I was driving home south on US 441 in Apopka, Fl. Apopka is just north of Orlando and is known as the Foliage Capital. Anyway, in my haste to get home in my 1965 Ford country squire station wagon, I may have exceeded the speed limit by more than a few mph. Got pulled over by the local PO PO and the court date was set for the next day, a Saturday no less.

Now, for me a $20.00 fine then was a very huge amount of money. I paid the clerk and he immediately handed the two $10.00 to the JP and he in turn gave one $10 back to the clerk.  Both $10 bills found the bottom of each pocket of the clerk and JP. No brag, just fact.  :'(

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on May 11, 2021, 06:56:28 AM
I feel kind of bad for being the cause of a track relocation project in Tahpoe.   :(  Lowering the height of the base shouldn't be too bad.  The only tricky spot is beneath the pole behind the garage because of the wires that run down the back of the pole for the light. 

Diet Pepsi wouldn't have done it Bruce.  I was a Diet Coke man for many years but kicked that habit a few years back.  Now it's mostly water, unsweetened iced tea and a few things with a bit more of an edge to them.   ;)  I did get a jar of great salsa in return for the apartment building.   ;D

Bob,

Don't feel bad just keep building, LOL. You and I will have a consultation prior to any demolition.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I do have an up date on the layout but can't get to it now. I'll do it tomorrow morning.

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Wow beautiful work can't wait to see them installed on the layout.

Ksrl

deemery

I'm guessing marriages and un-marriages could keep the JP busy.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

tom.boyd.125

Tom,
Those structure gifts are really special and will make great additions to your RR.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on May 11, 2021, 07:26:53 PM
Hey Tom:

Wow beautiful work can't wait to see them installed on the layout.

Ksrl

Karl,

Thank you, I'm working on it.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on May 12, 2021, 11:44:09 AM
Tom,
Those structure gifts are really special and will make great additions to your RR.
Tommy

Tommy,

I agree, the structures on the A&S RR built by Reading Bob was what makes the layout look really good.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In 2013 when the old layout was being removed I was able to save a few details. Not small details as I did save all of those. These were scenery details that were actually made for a specific purpose. One such detail was, I think, a Builders in Scale chain link fence.

I remember debating whether to toss the parts or box them for possible use later. That was then and now I'm using it around the salvage yard perimeter.

I glued the concrete slab in place and then made a test fit for the link fence and the old wood fence. The wood fence was a perfect corner fit and the chain link was fraction of an inch off. However, both will work for this project. I like the idea of two different styles of fence as it gives the appearance of a salvage yard using salvaged material.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com