The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazeman

Stopping by to catch up.  True sign of genius to pull inspiration from an "innocent" happenstance like a cushion tear.

Also, excellent idea to install the towel bar as a grab for those who need assistance with rising and balance.  I operate on a layout with a lower level that requires stooping/kneeling to throw switches and such. This would be handy. I'll be sharing with the owner.

Salvage yard scene has so many eye-catchers.  Such a small footprint will grab a lot of study time.

Larry

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 26, 2021, 07:37:56 AM
Now Pam has to go shopping for new cushions.....bet she doesn't look forward to that at all. River area is looking great Tom.  8)

Greg,

Can't figure out the plan on the cushion. She bought a new one over a month ago and has it stored in the laundry room. She said she was going to wait until the fabric starts to fall out. I said it following out now. She quickly advise me that I was the one pulling out the fabric.  :-X  I didn't think it wise to pursue that issue.

Oh, and thank you.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: BandOGuy on May 26, 2021, 10:52:03 AM
"One man's trash is another man's treasure".
Good to see the Roni virus didn't stifle your creativity.

Chip,

So they say anyway. It worked for me here.

I still struggle a bit at times but it gets better every week.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on May 27, 2021, 08:38:07 AM
Stopping by to catch up.  True sign of genius to pull inspiration from an "innocent" happenstance like a cushion tear.

Also, excellent idea to install the towel bar as a grab for those who need assistance with rising and balance.  I operate on a layout with a lower level that requires stooping/kneeling to throw switches and such. This would be handy. I'll be sharing with the owner.

Salvage yard scene has so many eye-catchers.  Such a small footprint will grab a lot of study time.

Larry

Larry,

Thank you for stopping by and posting your thoughts, much appreciated.

Not sure about the genius part but it did seem like an epiphany of sorts.

I noticed the Judge grabbing the side where the water is and thought the bar would give him more stability in getting up. I've used it twice just in working on the layout.

The salvage yard came to me when I was thinking the area needed something more than trees and grass. I then remembered the build from the old forum. Bingo, perfect fit.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Now that the river area is about 99% finished I can move on to the two Cracker Boy citrus buildings.

I also decided to move the two buildings back some. The #2 building was moved back 1 5/8". This lets me have larger trucks out on the road a little. I remember this from my youth around the citrus processing plants in the Orlando area.

The #1 citrus building was moved back just over two inches. The new location is marked by the orange marker line.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The area around the local plants were all concrete. This is what I decided to do as well. I used 1 ply cardboard for the concrete slabs. This is the same thickness I used on the road.

Here is how it looks with the building,

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then cut a piece to fit on the right and then used the two pieces to make a one master.

For building #2, I marked the corners of the building on the cardboard and then connected the dots using a metal ruler.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Fast forward and this piece was cut to fit. Sorry for the light bleed in the photo.

I glued the two slabs in place and let them dry overnight. The rust color is from the weights. I used white glue and the moisture rusted the weights a little. The concrete painting will cover the rust color/stain.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The concrete will look like this when finished. I'm really enjoying this part of the process.

Continued in a few. Time for a cold one, Diet Pepsi of course.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I made a few visits to one of the local citrus processing plants to take a few measurements. This old plant was located in Mt. Plymouth which is located just north of Orlando. Al Capone had a winter home in Mt. Plymouth.

Anyway, I measured the concrete slabs as they looked off to me. For some reason, the expansion joints were at 10 X12 feet. Not sure why but I did mine the say way.

I drew all the lines in with a pencil and metal ruler.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After the pencil lines were drawn, I went over them using a pointed punch to give the joints some depth.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I drew lines on the main road but didn't scribe the joints. This will be a paved road.

I taped off the sides and painted it with Floquil Guilford Gray.

In my travels, whenever I stopped in a hobby shop I purchased some Floquil paint. I found two jars of Guilford Gray in a shop in Gettysburg, PA. Howard Zane told me about the shop. He said no one really knows how to find it. It was in the man's garage with a very small sign out front. This guy looked like Santa Claus.

The two jars were on the close out table.

Back in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When the paint was dry, but not cured, I removed the painters tape. I'll let this cure for a couple of days prior to painting the concrete slabs.

The two structures were placed in position for a look see.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Can't forget the Cracker Boy sign.

I be back in a few hours for a couple of Throw Back Thursday photos.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tct855

ACL 1504,
                Great update pics T you are the master of all you survey!
                                                                                  KP-out...