The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrmueller

Happy Christmas Eve. We are in Winchester VA visiting our grandchildren and my sons and their spouses for Christmas. Mary Poppins movie on schedule and dinner out this evening.  West Chester and Boston RR may have to generate some revenue to cover additional expenses.  Anyway Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the Muellers.
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

ACL1504

Quote from: jrmueller on December 24, 2018, 10:07:12 AM
Happy Christmas Eve. We are in Winchester VA visiting our grandchildren and my sons and their spouses for Christmas. Mary Poppins movie on schedule and dinner out this evening.  West Chester and Boston RR may have to generate some revenue to cover additional expenses.  Anyway Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the Muellers.

Jim,

Merry Christmas to you and your family also.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bruce Oberleitner

Hey Tom!
Guess what I found under the tree!

ACL1504

Bruce,

Santa was very good to you. You must have been very good last year. 8) 8)

Tom ;D ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Work on, in and around the turntable continues.

I have Walthers' sanding tower that needs to be kit bashed to fit over three tracks. It is made to fit over two tracks, one on each side of the tower as shown in the photos below.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

As you can see, it needs to be extended to fit over the track on the far right.

I measured the distance between the main tower and the support post on the right

I then used blue painters tape and marked the distance on the tape as shown below.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used thin piano wire, same as I use for the Tortoise throw bar, and soldered an angle piece to the main/pipe.

When cool, I used pliers to bend the ends to fit into the holes on the main sand tower. The lower wire is a support/stabilizer for the longer one.

Back in a few, gonna grab a cold Diet Pepsi.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is how it will look between the main sand tower and support post.

This is a repeat photo but the piping will fit between the two sand assemblies.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Both tracks fit as planned.

I used CAA glue to secure the piping. Weights were used to hold the parts together as the glue set.

Back in a few more.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After making sure the glued pieces were tight and secure, The new piping was painted with Floquil Weathered Black.

The new kit bashed sanding tower was placed over the tracks for a test fit.

The locos have plenty of room under the sanding pipes.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The outer posts appear to be at an angle but they aren't.

I'll have another update tomorrow afternoon.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

BandOGuy

Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

jerryrbeach

Tom,

Setting up a quickie fixture at the workbench rather than building it in place on the layout is yet another great idea I'll have to borrow.  Once again, innovative and wonderful modeling!
Jerry