The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Here is a quick photo essay with a little narrative to show how I replaced the red and green LEDs in the signal.

I first removed the old LEDs and wiring.

I then fed new red and green wires through the 3/32" brass signal mast.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then tinned both the red and green wires on one end.

I trimmed the ends and then pulled them down so they were just out of the opening.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used the red and green 1.5 mm LEDs from Miniatronics. These fit into the holes in the rear of the signal face.

I first tinned both legs of the LEDs and then bent them as shown below.

I then placed them over the brass mast as shown.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is how they look when pushed into the back of the signal face.

The LED legs were trimmed and soldered to the mast. Don't worry how it looks, touch up Floquil Old Silver will cover the new solder.

Noticed I slipped with the solder tip and melted part of the side of the face. Very prototypical of my don't ya think?

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then cut a portion of the other LED legs. I trimmed them about half way between the back of the LED and the mast as shown below.

The wires were then slowly pulled down until the tinned ends were in line with the short legs and were then soldered.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

S&S RR

Tom

The signals look great -  thank you for taking the time to post the tutorial.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

NKP768

So is there a common wire to the mast for the other leg of the LED's - haven't done much with LED's

Doug

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on February 18, 2019, 08:32:06 PM
Hey Tom:

The signals look great.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks buddy, appreciate you looking in on the thread.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on February 19, 2019, 03:21:38 PM
Tom

The signals look great -  thank you for taking the time to post the tutorial.

John,

Thank you my friend. The tutorial was very short and limited on narrative but the main idea is covered.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on February 19, 2019, 03:23:33 PM
So is there a common wire to the mast for the other leg of the LED's - haven't done much with LED's

Doug

Doug,

Thank you for stopping by. Yes, I'm using the brass pole as the common.

Here is a crude drawing of how the signals are wired. Really simple to do.

In the diagram, the red and green wires are shown coming from the signal face. They actually are fed through the brass pole and exit the bottom. One side(legs) of the LEDs are soldered to the brass pole(common). The other two LED legs are soldered to the red and green wires, red to red and green to green.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I spent the last two days rewiring the two track signal bridge.

I was only going to fix the one signal face that didn't work. However, I got into the repair and ended up replacing all 8 of the LEDs, 4 red and 4 green plus all the wiring.

The signal bridge itself and the target faces were also repainted.

I think the 16 hour repair was definitely worth the time and effort.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com