The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on May 03, 2019, 10:35:42 AM
Looks very cool uncle Tommie.  Keep up the good work my friend!

;D ;D :o

Cousin Brucie,

Good to see you my friend. Thanks for the compliment and the work will continue.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: MAP on May 03, 2019, 10:53:30 AM
Nice work on building the crossing Tom.  You make it look real easy...of course the templates help, but still, to me it's a complicated affair that would have me huddled in a corner whimpering  :o

Mark,

Thank you kind sir, much appreciated. The aluminum template made all the difference. The template is free now if you want to try and come out of the corner. ;D ;D

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on May 06, 2019, 04:51:31 PM
Very nice Tom - I've always thought that hand laid track when done right is the most impressive aspect our hobby - and this is impressive.

Doug

Doug,

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment. After building the 30 degree crossing, I can now better understand why some prefer the hand laid track method. For me though, to old to change now. :-X

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used  Weldwood Contact Cement for gluing the rail to the ties.

I placed two large weights on the track to hold it overnight while the glue dried. The next morning I cut off the tie carrier, cut the rails to the proper length and added rail joiners.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The crossing is made up of 20 individually cut and soldered pieces of rail.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The crossing was again test fit on the cork. The old cork was removed. New cork was glued in place to match the angle of the crossing rail to the turnout.

I removed the old cork to the upper left of the crossing. I had to remove just over 5.5 feet of old cork in order to maintain my 52 inch radius. The angle is about an inch off the old cork but the 5.5 feet gives me the length to bring it back in line.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Oldguy

As with just about everything that you do, it is a work of art.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ReadingBob

Another challenge solved!  Looks great.   :D

I enjoy laying track by hand although I wouldn't attempt it on a layout the size of yours unless I was 30 years younger and didn't need to worry about working for a living.   ;D  There are pros and cons but that might be a topic worthy of it's own thread.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Janbouli

Looking great Tom. Are there aspects of modeling you are not too comfortable about?
I love photo's, don't we all.

jimmillho

Looks great Tom.

I have hand laid a lot of track in my younger days, but I am like Bob, never again.

Jim

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on May 08, 2019, 10:03:15 PM
Very nice work my friend.

John,

Thank you kind sir, appreciate you stopping by.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Oldguy on May 08, 2019, 11:10:48 PM
As with just about everything that you do, it is a work of art.

Bob,

Thank you for the kind words; however, my wiring is anything but works of art. 8) 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com