The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

Next thing, they'll try waterboarding him with Diet Coke!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Judge

And I thought "Crummy" was a red conductor's shack found at the end of all proper freight trains.  OHE

BandOGuy

Quote from: Judge on December 11, 2018, 11:35:08 AM
And I thought "Crummy" was a red conductor's shack found at the end of all proper freight trains.  OHE

If it please the court.
Crummy: lousy. down on its heels. The interior of my wife's car.
Crumby: an area littered with crumbs. The Christmas cookie plate later. The interior of my daughters car with 3 little ones aboard.
And if it doesn't please the court, find me in contempt. Contempt of court, not the Judge.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

MAP

Sheesh, what a Crummy Thread this has turned out to be!!   :o   Having fun following along, and as usual I'm just blown away with the speed and detailed work you're doing on the layout.  Can't wait to see it next year on my travels down to Florida.
Mark

ACL1504

Quote from: MAP on December 13, 2018, 01:28:50 PM
Sheesh, what a Crummy Thread this has turned out to be!!   :o   Having fun following along, and as usual I'm just blown away with the speed and detailed work you're doing on the layout.  Can't wait to see it next year on my travels down to Florida.

Mark,

Looking forward to your visit. And, thank you for the kind words on the progress. I hope to really get back to the layout in a few more weeks.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

We had some great laughs at the the expense of "Greg Crumbs".

Greg and I are very good friends and I told him he is great at giving me fodder for the forum. I told Greg what I was going to do and he agreed to go along with it.

He has been a great sport and now we can get back to the layout.

Thanks to all whom participated in the fun.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I haven't been idle concerning the layout work.

I do have some stuff to report so hopefully I'll have the photos ready to go for tomorrow afternoon.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I decided Tahope needed a town water tower. I pulled this one out of my unbuilt kit stash.

I was thinking I'll have this glued together and ready for painting in about 30-40 minutes.   Wrong!

This kit was a mess.

The four sides all have 5 tiny pins and the opposite side has 5 tiny holes for the tiny pins on the other side and so on for all sides.

The bottom pin was the only one of the five that match or fit into the hole. The higher you go on the side, bottom to top, the further apart the alignment for the pins/holes.

The bottom hole is where the red pencil is pointing.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

To get all four sides glued together, I had to make a few major modifications.

First, all the top four, 16 total, pins were cut off. Then part of each gusset was trimmed. The higher I went on the tower, the more of the gusset had to be trimmed.

Each level of the cross bracing had rings on the support poles. Each gusset had to be cut to fit just above each rings.

Then each gusset had to be glued, one at a time, to the poles. Also, they needed to be aligned exactly over the tiny holes so the other sides would line up.

After three hours the four sides were complete. I have to say that during the process, I came very close to throwing the tower kit into file 13.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I started the kit around 9 AM  and finished around 1 PM.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In other news, I also assembled the Walthers Cinder Conveyor. I already have an ash pit.

This kit went together without a hitch. It only took me about 90 minutes for this one.

It was to damp for spray painting today so I'll wait for a warmer/dryer day.

I may make a track modification to the ash pit area. Nor sure yet but I'll keep you posted on my ideas. I want think about it for a few days.

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Tom,

I like the vertical element the water tower adds to the scene.  That cinder conveyor is pretty cool, too.  Looking forward to seeing it painted and weathered.
Jerry