The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: cuse on April 28, 2021, 06:09:28 AM
The river looks great Tom. For those of us here watching the Mod Podge chronicles, I found that I could "clean up" bubbles pretty well with some paint touch up between coats...it actually added a nice "depth" effect, in my estimation. I also felt like the "foam" looked good around the rocky outcroppings, where the water would be aerated by the waves hitting the rocks and swirling around...This is what I excel at - rationalizing my messes with explanations found in nature  ;D

John

John,

Thank you for the kind words on the river area. The paint between layers is a good idea. However, I've not convinced myself to add another layer to the river yet. I need to practice how to make motor bubbles under the surface and the waste water splashes, "cavitation bubbles" as you called it.

Tom  ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on April 28, 2021, 09:13:02 AM
Hey Tom:

You never cease to amaze me. The layout looks just beautiful. Love that 4 Aces sign. Great modeling as always.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you very much my friend.  This was and still is a fun project. I plan on making a Four Aces sign for street side.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Bernd on April 28, 2021, 12:38:49 PM
Hey Tom,

Nice structure and the detailed scenery is great.

How about cutting a square hole in to the table and placing the structure in the hole? Possible? Or, and I think this would be more difficult, slice the base to make it thinner. Perhaps a band saw would work to do that.

Bernd

Bernd,

Thank you, much appreciate the compliment.

Cutting a hole for the small diorama is definitely out, to messy and difficult. It can be reduced in size with the band saw but I plan on increasing the size of the salvage yard also. All the stuff needs to be removed and more added to a larger yard.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Tom, sent you a PM on Judge's Chambers, but I'm not quite sure if it made it.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on April 28, 2021, 06:00:40 PM
Tom, sent you a PM on Judge's Chambers, but I'm not quite sure if it made it.

dave

Dave,

I got it and sent you a PM this morning.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Finally back to work on the layout and getting some things done.

I marked off the area of the scrap/salvage yard. I simply used a black Sharpie to mark the area.

Street side view -

Track side view -

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used a large eye dropper and added some warm clear water to the scenery area to be removed. I let it stand for about 30 minutes and used a 1 1/4" putty knife to remove the wet scenery.

Some stubborn spots remained so I added more water to those areas.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Now I'm ready to prep the area and add the yard fence.

Diet Pepsi time, back in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I was able to removed the concrete slab for the building without any damage. However, I'm planning on making a new one, just wanted to see if I could do it.

I did decide to not use brick piers in place of the concrete slab.

I removed the rest of the detail parts and will add much more to the new yard.

Done for now.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tct855

8)

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."   Will Rogers...

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 04, 2021, 05:39:34 PM

I marked off the area of the scrap/salvage yard. I simply used a black Sharpie to mark the area.

Street side view -

Track side view -

Continued -

Every great change on a layout starts with the commitment made with a sharpe. It looks like a good location - I can't wait to see what you do with it.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Quote from: tct855 on May 04, 2021, 06:33:23 PM
8)

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."   Will Rogers...

Amen to that brother!

T ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on May 04, 2021, 07:32:41 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on May 04, 2021, 05:39:34 PM

Street side view -

Track side view -

Continued -

Every great change on a layout starts with the commitment made with a sharpe. It looks like a good location - I can't wait to see what you do with it.

John,

Yes, I agree. Even though we think we have it the way we want it, something happens that changes. More on this thought later in the thread and later this evening.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When Erieman, Frank Baker built the two beautiful structures for the A&S RR, he did so in exchange for some brass loco repairs and painting for his Morristown and Erie Railroad.

He added that I needed to get some SS Ltd. detail parts. Well, I did get the parts needed. I purchased some crates, full and empty and some freight roller parts. Railroad modeling is fun and certainly not cheap.

The two photos below show just how little $157.00 buys in detail parts. Not pontificating or complaining. just stating a fact.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com