The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Oops, here is another look at the structures.

Continued -

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I did cut and paint a new base for the two story salvage office.

Here is how the office will be placed and appear on the salvage lot.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Hello Tom, it's good to see you busy on the layout. The two citrus buildings from Erieman are going to make a great scene on the layout when you are done detailing them. Also, I like the little salvage scene you are working on.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ACL1504

Dave, forum member Deemery, sent me the small little office he built. He called it the Judge's Quarters. I showed it to the Judge this morning and he did really like the structure.

I wasn't sure I had a spot for it. Real estate in Tahope is getting scarce.

We spent some time this morning and found two possible spots for the office. Here is one.

Dave also sent a sign that states, Judge's Quarters, Objections Overruled, Bail Revoked and Subpoenas Quashed.

Back in a short time, time for a Diet Pepsi.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: nycjeff on May 08, 2021, 05:30:23 PM
Hello Tom, it's good to see you busy on the layout. The two citrus buildings from Erieman are going to make a great scene on the layout when you are done detailing them. Also, I like the little salvage scene you are working on.    Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you. The salvage area is my first priority to get finished. If not, I find myself starting many new small projects and then realize I have a dozen or so going at the same time.

Frank really did a fantastic job on the two citrus structures. I'm moving to them next.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

As most now know the Saturday Butty Group met last Saturday, a real calendar Saturday. As Greg would say, "The miscreants involved were ACL1504, PRR Modeler, Reading Bob, Cuse and yours truly Greg Demayo."

Reading Bob brought his wonderful model of the Watchers Apartments. This is a FOS structure. His thread was wonderful but in this case the pictures aren't worth a thousand words. You need to see this one up close and personal as it is truly amazing modeling.

He gifted the model to the A&S RR. Not sure how I can repay him but I do know that buying him lunch once a month for life won't cover the bill. :P  I'll come up with something.

Now, I want to make note of a few details. The model sits on a 1/2" foam core base. This base and the model are married and can't be divorced. It measures 9 3/4" X 9 3/4".

It also needs to be viewed from all four sides to appreciate the quality of his craftsmanship. Also, it needs to be displayed so the roof details can be seen.

A possible location I had in mind was on the third or Summit level.

Although this location was considered for about 30 minutes, it is wrong for all the right reasons.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The best location is on the second level know as the Midlands and where downtown Tahope is located.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Problem #1 -

The structure is to large for the area as seen in the photos below.

It does look great on the main street but the 1/2" base needs to be half the thickness the 1/4" pink foam needs to be removed around the building. More on this later.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Problem #2 -

You saw how it looks on the street/front view. Here is the issue for the size and how it doesn't fit in the rear track side view.

Obviously the track will need to be removed and relocated. As mentioned earlier, real estate in Tahope is very scarce.

As the Judge says, "To Be Continued".
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Jerry

To be so lucky to have to make this decision!  Wonderful building to go to a beautiful RR.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

Tahope is perfect for that grand structure Tom..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteAlthough this location was considered for about 30 minutes, it is wrong for all the right reasons.

I really like the wonderful structure in the first location, Tom.  What were all the 'right' reasons?

Cheers, Mark.

Bruce Oberleitner

Uncle Tommie,
Those are some wonderfull additions going on to the railroad!  I remember that scrapyard building from the contest on the "Old Forum".  I hope the old "Tom Loves Pam" sign will be prominently seen in its new home.

The Judges house looks very cool.  I guess the Judge will have to come up with a story about the house and why its located where it is on the railroad.

And that FOS Apartment complex is just the Bomb!  How do you get so lucky in having people show up with gifts like that for your railroad?  Are you sure your not putting a little extra something in their "Diet Pepsi?"

;D ;D :o

Judge

The "Judge's Quarters" is actually the home of the local Justice of the Peace.  (The main courthouse will be located in the Tahope City Hall)  These non-lawyer judges handled minor traffic cases and traffic-related misdemeanors.  They also handled preliminary hearings.  They had a law enforcement officer known as the Constable.  The office was funded from the fines levied, which meant the not guilty verdicts were few and far between.  The JP's were elected every four years so they somehow had to be politically acceptable to the voters.  We had one in Sanford who decided he would seize a little jurisdiction and help out poor people who couldn't afford a lawyer for a divorce.  He would have the people bring in their marriage license to his court and stamp "CANCELLED" on it over his signature.  Fortunately, nobody was charged with bigamy, but Florida land titles are so screwed up in some local communities it still requires a quiet title suit to sell the property.

I'm not making this up.  The JP's were abolished in 1968 in favor of a unified statewide court system.