Howard Zane's Piermont Division

Started by ACL1504, April 27, 2014, 03:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Tom,

I have that same Allen Keller VHS and it's definitely one of my favorites.  What an inspiration.  I couldn't stop laughing when I read "A nice Jewish boy from New Jersey".  What a trip.   :D  Thanks for sharing the book (and the photo's). 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: EricQuebec on April 27, 2014, 05:23:34 PM
What a nice layout. Thank for sharing thospictures.
Eric Québec city

Eric,

Thanks for stopping by! The layout is wonderful and a sight to see.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on April 27, 2014, 05:51:20 PM
Tom,

I have that same Allen Keller VHS and it's definitely one of my favorites.  What an inspiration.  I couldn't stop laughing when I read "A nice Jewish boy from New Jersey".  What a trip.   :D  Thanks for sharing the book (and the photo's).

Bob,

A visit to Howard is a trip in itself. He is just a nice guy and humble. I have the DVDs as well. Well, I have them here somewhere. The book is better than the title.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tom

Great story and thread.  I would love to get a chance to see Howard's layout.  Very much looking forward to your next group of pictures.  I have the book and the DVD's.

I have a question for you - I read a few years back that Howard was working on a third book about the great layouts and model railroading as an "Art Form".  Did he every finish it or is he still working on it?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ak-milw

Does anyone know if the DVD's are still available?

8)

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on April 27, 2014, 09:43:01 PM
Tom

Great story and thread.  I would love to get a chance to see Howard's layout.  Very much looking forward to your next group of pictures.  I have the book and the DVD's.

I have a question for you - I read a few years back that Howard was working on a third book about the great layouts and model railroading as an "Art Form".  Did he every finish it or is he still working on it?

John,

Thanks for following along. I haven't spoken to Howard or Sandy in a couple of years. I'll give him a call and see what he's been doing. I know for a while he was working full time with a guy out West scratch building several dozen if not more "O" scale structures for the guys layout.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ak-milw on April 28, 2014, 12:45:01 AM
Does anyone know if the DVD's are still available?

8)

Andy,

Yes, Vol. #12 on VHS, Vol. #'s 44 and 58 on DVD from www.allenkeller.com are still available.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tabooma county rwy

Tom,

Great posting of Howard's layout - thanks!  Brings back some very fond memories...  In 1995 I was in Baltimore on a trip and ended up visiting Howard's layout one day (long story how that came about).  Same impression - Howard is truly a gracious host and very humble.  This was before he (twice) expanded his basement and layout.  Just the initial layout was very awe inspiring.  Howard, like me, really likes vehicles and we sort of bonded over that subset of the hobby.  I was chuckling at one of his creations, a "Y'all Haul" (U-Haul) truck and he plucked it off the layout and gave it to me - it is one of my prized possessions and always gets comments when people visit my layout.

I too bought his first book and have really enjoyed it, reading it cover to cover, and then going back and re-reading it.  I haven't heard about his 2nd book, so I'll have to look that up. 

Thanks very much for posting these photos - I'll have to go in search of the photos I took of his layout, if I can find them...

Al Carter

Raymo

Tom,I got to visit Howard's layout in the late 90's and got more of a kick out of the signs around the house as warnings to the cats and what not to do with the kitchen sink. Raymo

Janbouli

Great Tom , thanks , photo's of layouts like this are more cherry's on a cake then you can eat.

I love the tenement row.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ak-milw

Thanks Tom for the info on the DVD's, I will have to pick some up.

8)

ACL1504

Quote from: tabooma county rwy on April 28, 2014, 10:42:38 AM
Tom,

Great posting of Howard's layout - thanks!  Brings back some very fond memories...  In 1995 I was in Baltimore on a trip and ended up visiting Howard's layout one day (long story how that came about).  Same impression - Howard is truly a gracious host and very humble.  This was before he (twice) expanded his basement and layout.  Just the initial layout was very awe inspiring.  Howard, like me, really likes vehicles and we sort of bonded over that subset of the hobby.  I was chuckling at one of his creations, a "Y'all Haul" (U-Haul) truck and he plucked it off the layout and gave it to me - it is one of my prized possessions and always gets comments when people visit my layout.

I too bought his first book and have really enjoyed it, reading it cover to cover, and then going back and re-reading it.  I haven't heard about his 2nd book, so I'll have to look that up. 

Thanks very much for posting these photos - I'll have to go in search of the photos I took of his layout, if I can find them...

Al Carter

Al,

It was always an adventure going to Howard's layout as you never knew what you would see. No matter what, it was a fantastic visit each and everytime.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Raymo on April 28, 2014, 03:51:46 PM
Tom,I got to visit Howard's layout in the late 90's and got more of a kick out of the signs around the house as warnings to the cats and what not to do with the kitchen sink. Raymo

Raymo,

I have a photo of that "cat" sign but can't remember where I filed it. It was great but I never took a photo of the "cat" door on the stairs where the sign is located. Thanks for stopping by!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Janbouli on April 28, 2014, 04:52:13 PM
Great Tom , thanks , photo's of layouts like this are more cherry's on a cake then you can eat.

I love the tenement row.

Jan,

You are welcome and the tenement row is a great scene and wait until you see all the other photos I have.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ak-milw on April 28, 2014, 07:09:23 PM
Thanks Tom for the info on the DVD's, I will have to pick some up.

8)

Andy,

No problem! All three of the videos are a great source for seeing the layout and full of tips.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com