The Atlantic & Southern Saturday Report

Started by Judge, January 05, 2019, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge

Saturday Report August 28, 2021.
The Board of Director's meeting was cancelled today.  The meeting is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. next Saturday.
There is some "news."  A couple of years ago, BLI came out with a model of the Baldwin "Centipede" locomotives.  Your reporter remembers the SAL version were like purple cows, he never saw one.  However, he did order one of the beasts and after a few months, he became discouraged about delivery.  A model railroad show was scheduled a few miles north in Volusia County so Tom Langford and your reporter journeyed there for a look-see.  Guess what?  They had Centipedes for sale in SAL colours.  Figgering that the order would never be filled, your reporter purchased one of the engines.  Wouldn't you know it, upon arrival back home, another one was waiting for delivery on the front porch.  Reminds me of the story about the cello player who received an accordion for Christmas from his sister.  She thought he would like it.  One day he drove his hatchback automobile to orchestra practice with the accordion in the rear compartment in full view through the rear window.  When he returned from orchestra practice, he was surprised to see his rear window smashed.  Fearing there had been a theft, he peered into the rear compartment.  And there was a second accordion next to his.  Some things you just can't give away.

Which reminds me, Tom tried to sell some Proto 1000 F units painted in Pennsy's freight scheme. The shells on these units are identical (as far as we can tell) to the Proto 2000 version.  However, both units were repowered with TCS WOW Sound decoders and they did not sell on eBay for the cost of the decoders.  What is the hobby coming to?  Or is the market saturated with Pennsy diesels?  I note that Walthers has just announced new FP7s for sale.  The road names are all of the usual subjects except for a Southern unit.  But the Southern unit is in the black, white, and gold scheme instead of green so that puts the units towards the end of their long career and out of our early 1950s time frame.  But why doesn't Walthers include ACL FP7s in the purple scheme?  ACL had a gaggle of these engines for use on local passenger runs and as stand-ins when the regular power was not available. 

Last week it was mentioned that Newt Fisher, who has managed to remain employed for more than two weeks, has a new girlfriend named Mary Lou Stroker.  Newt and Mary Lou moved into her trailer in The Bottoms and "set up house."  A photograph of Mary Lou's trailer is posted below.  The estate is not exactly tidy but it fits into the rest of the neighborhood.

Mary Lou and Maggie Hussy are employed as dancers at the all-new Hokum's House of Burlesque, which was built on the site of the old Trackside Tavern and is owned by several local dignitaries and leased to our old friend Bruce Bonebreaker.    Bruce is currently out of custody and is making a killing at his new joint.  It has been rumored that some of the drunks who had to be removed from the Trackside Tavern when it was demolished returned on opening day and regained their regular seats near the stage.

On opening day, Short Stack, Wormy, and Newt arrived just after noon and ordered their first beer of the day.  Mary Lou trotted out onto the stage and commenced to do what she was paid to do.  This took Wormy off balance, for Mary Lou is not unattractive and, at age 19, she still has most of her teeth.  As Mary Lou was a-wiggling and squirming to the latest Boogey-Woogie, Wormy decided to grab a handful.  That did not go well with Newt, who flattened Wormy with one punch to the nose, blood spattering both the floor and the ceiling.  This caused Bruce Bonecrusher to pull out his club and go after Newt.  Soon there were additional blood spatters.  Someone called the police and Officer Poovey arrested the lot of them.  A few days later, the defendant's lawyer, Marvin Bello, explained to Judge Thomas what happened.  The judge banged his gavel, spit into his spitoon, and announced, "Case dismissed.  Fair a fight as I've ever seed!" And Mary Lou and Newt returned to The Bottoms for a dinner of turtle soup and gartor tail. 

PRR Modeler

Great story Bill. So tomorrow is canceled at Tom's?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Judge

Curt - Tomorrow is off.  Tom is otherwise engaged. 

jrmueller

Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

ACL1504

A Saturday Report on Friday. Yes, things are normal around here as usual.  :-X

Tom  8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Good one Bill.....Mary Lou's tailor looks about usual, but I don't see any cars up on blocks. ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Judge

Tom - I didn't realize I published the Saturday Report on Friday.  That's what happens when every day is Saturday. 

Sorry, Greg, there are no cars up on blocks. However, you will notice there are old tires (pronounced tars) on the property.

Judge

Saturday, September 4, 2021.  Sorry - No Saturday Report today.  Your reporter is "all stove up" with a sprained ankle. 

deemery

Bummer!  Those are always a Saturday feature.  Hope you're feeling better and back to ass-kicking soon.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

ACL1504

Bill,

Hears hoping you heal soon. The Atlantic and Southern locos need some rail time.  8)

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Judge

Thank all of you for your concern.  My ankle is much better today, although I am not walking on it.  Cindy found a "like new" wheelchair at a thrift store and bought it for $38.00.  It has been a big help in improving my mobility. I will be consulting with a pediatrist Tuesday and plan on being back in shape next week.   

GPdemayo

That's okay Bill.....the tiny Mustang and other miniature white car are almost as good, but the block fire pit and bare plywood HC ramp are a good touch. Take care of  your ankle so we can all see you soon. :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jrmueller

Bill maybe you should lay off the dancing on Saturday nights  ;D Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad