The Atlantic & Southern Saturday Report

Started by Judge, January 05, 2019, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

But the question remains, did Sam actually lift the pinball machine as accused or was he simply a man who brought a knife to a gun fight?

Given the poorly maintained condition of Barlow's facility it is just as likely the floor sagged at the right moment, due to the large group of people jumping up and down watching the match and thus tilting the machine to Sam's advantage. What happened next is well documented, much to Sam's demise.

I expect we might hear more on this subject due to the widow Savage and her 13 children having lost husband and pappy. He might have been a poor excuse of a man, a drunkerd, womanizer and mean but he was their source of income, such as it was, and widow Savage expects Barlow's to do her right.

Just saying...
Holland & Odessa Railroad

jimmillho

Love the story Bill.  Sounds like some personnel experience might be part of the History between Bruce and Sam.

Jim

Judge

The rest of the story. 

Jim Donovan is right!  The tragic death of Sam Savage had a devastating effect upon his widow and 13 children.  She hired attorney Larry Lickem, who successfully sued the ACL several weeks ago in that unfortunate accident involving the caboose that fouled the track at the Piney Woods Station.  Lawyer Lickem proceeded to sue Barlow's, Bruce Bonebreaker, and Regressive Insurance Co., whose motto is "You Pay and We Don't."  Sam only made minimum wage, less than a dollar an hour in 1950, and he had no pain and suffering due to his instant demise, so the damages in his case depended upon the widow's "loss of services."  With 13 kids, it was obvious that Sam provided better than average services and the jury, angry at the insurance defense lawyer, made sure she was more than adequately compensated.  However, the court of appeals substantially reduced the award, leaving the widow with only several million dollars.  She subsequently married SAL fireman George "Crack a Diamond" Musselwhite (Remember George?) and provided him with six more head of young 'uns.

However, Jim is wrong in his analysis about whether or not Sam actually lifted the pinball machine to his advantage.  In self-defense cases, truth is a matter of perception.  It matters not if the pinball machine was lifted.  The only question was whether Sam "deserved to be kilt."  The jury found he did deserve his fate and the community was better off without the shiftless, no-count SOB. 

Oh, yes, I almost forgot, Bruce Bonebreaker "drug up" and moved to the Florida panhandle where he went to work cutting timber for the St. Joe Paper Company, whose trustee was also the trustee for the FEC.  So Tahope got rid of both of these characters and it was a better place for it.

jerryrbeach

Judge,

I would like you to show more sensitivity when referring to the locomotives in service on the A&S.  You referred to a specific B unit as a "dummy".  It would be better, at least in my opinion, to refer to it as "unpowered" since there is no proof that this particular B unit is any less intelligent than an A unit.  Now, if you would want to share the standardized test scores of both the A and B units involved, I might have to retract my objection. 
Jerry

deemery

"The rest of the story" reminded me of my time on a jury.  In Virginia, the plaintiff isn't allowed to ask for specific amounts.  Well, the defendant hit the plaintiff (with her car.)  It was clear she didn't want to be in court, she was only there because her insurance company made the case go to jury trial.  The plaintiff laid down his medical expenses and lost wages, and we went into the jury room.  Our deliberations included making sure the plaintiff got all his expenses covered, and then we threw in another $20k because the insurance company would pay, and they were real a-holes! 

Afterwards, the plaintiff's attorney called to get feedback on what worked and didn't work.  I was really impressed with him, I made sure I got his phone number, in case I had to sue someone.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Another great story. I love the staging of the crime scene.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

They keep getting better and better Bill..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Judge

Jerry - I guess the age of political correctness has even touched model railroading.  I hope an inanimate object like an unpowered plastic model diesel is not offended by my use of the term "dummy."  Perhaps "Locomotively challenged" or "unmotorized placeholder unit" or "non-functional-but-pleasing-consist-enhancer" would be a more appropriate.  For this defalcation, I humbly apologize.  However, I may retain Lawyer Lickem and sue for defecation of my character.     

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Quote from: Judge on March 10, 2019, 01:15:24 PM
Jerry - I guess the age of political correctness has even touched model railroading.  I hope an inanimate object like an unpowered plastic model diesel is not offended by my use of the term "dummy."  Perhaps "Locomotively challenged" or "unmotorized placeholder unit" or "non-functional-but-pleasing-consist-enhancer" would be a more appropriate.  For this defalcation, I humbly apologize.  However, I may retain Lawyer Lickem and sue for defecation of my character.   

Oh boy..... ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246

These stories just keep getting better and better, as do the comments.  ;D

Jeff

S&S RR

I have one of those lazy locomotives on my railroad.  Just will not pull its own weight.  Great report!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jerryrbeach

Quote from: Judge on March 10, 2019, 01:15:24 PM

Your honor,
I place myself at the mercy of the court.  While I felt it my personal responsibility to address the mis-characterization of the B unit as a "dummy", in no way did I intend to imply that the court was less than objective in its ruling.   
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Judge:

Love the BBQ kit. You did a great job with it.

Karl

Judge

Karl - No, no, no, no!  I take no credit for the Bar-B-Que joint!  That is the creation of Robert "Redding Bob" Butts, Grand Poo-Bah, Master Model Builder and all 'round good guy.  Bob is also the whimsical owner of Barlow's.  Its motto is "We have the best butts in Tahope County."  That is true in more ways than one on most Saturday nights.

Alas, my model building ability is amateurish to say the least.  Perhaps I will delve into kit building after I retire again.  Meanwhile, I am quite happy being allowed to discuss construction plans for the A&S and doing goffer work like populating passenger cars.  Also, get a great deal of pleasure from running trains.