What am I missing?

Started by jerryrbeach, January 15, 2019, 11:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

This locomotive was listed and sold yesterday for $114.99 plus shipping.  It is listed as "parts / junk", and noted that when hooked up the motor started smoking.  After looking it over carefully, I believe this is a Riverossi engine.  It has been repainted, Kadee couplers added, and has what appears to be a brass stack, headlight, and generator.  It also has had one dome replaced, a coal load added to the tender and the cab windows modified.  It appears to have been been re-motored, but most likely that motor is toast and the drive shaft (roughly a $15 part) is missing. 

At least two people had to want it this badly to drive the final price to this point.  Can someone please explain what makes this engine worth what was paid?   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-Unknown-Soo-Line-4-4-0-Steam-Switcher-Locomotive-22-DAMAGED-JUNK-/333002774599?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137
Jerry

NKP768

Don't try to figure out the buying habits of e-bayers - just shake your head and keep on moving Jerry

Doug

vinceg

Well, maybe the buyers had exactly that engine when they were kids but their mom sold their trains without their notice and it had some deep sentimental value?

(No, I wasn't one of the bidders, and yes, my mom did sell my Lionel trains without me knowing. I wouldn't know the engines if they were sitting right in front of me now, anyway.)
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

S&S RR

I agree, ebay crazies, no logic. My Grandma used to say a fool and his money are soon parted.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

BandOGuy

Was that site one of those that has the "This Way To The Egress" signs on it? One of those where the Back Arrow doesn't work?
Hey, it did have a brass stack on it. That's gotta' be worth something extra.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

jimmillho

If it is a Riverossi Engine, it could be worth that much for parts.  Riverossi is no longer in business.

Jim