Snug Harbor

Started by ollevon, May 12, 2014, 09:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollevon

Just a photo of  starting my diorama this is only the base so far. This diorama will be called,   Snug Harbor.  Look for more photos as I go along.

Sam

moonlicht

looks promising to ,like to see more
Cor

bparrish

Good start........

I've never used foam so I'm interested in where you go with this.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Jerry

Looks to be an interesting thread.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ollevon

I now have the base painted for the color of the harbor water, not sure if I like it yet, so I'm asking what do you all think of the color?

Sam

ollevon

Sorry about the glare spot in the middle, but it's all a dark blue green.  Need to learn how to take better pictures.
  Sam

cuse

I've had really good results with splotches of color over the base coat as demonstrated by King Frary (I guess on his website)...where is that? "Building an Expo module" maybe on YouTube?

It looks a little messy, but when the Mod Podge (or whatever gloss & texture coating you're using) is applied, it looks great. I think a single consistent color might look too uniform.

BTW, I love your concept, nothing beats a crowded, irregular, little waterfront scene.

John

ollevon

I agree, that is only the base coat, I just want to make sure  I like it enough before I add different shades of color along the shore line and under the docks. 

Thanks for your thoughts
  Sam

S&S RR

Sam

I think it will work well for a base coat.  Looking forward to watching the build.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ollevon

I decided to stay with that color as the base coat, but before I add different shades & shadows of other colors, I have to build my docks. The docks will be odd shapes. You can see the rough outlines of where the docks are going to be placed from the first photo. The docks are going to take a while to build because, I am building them, plank by plank. I could speed up building the docks by using scribed sheet stock, but I think plank by plank will be more realistic, and be well worth it, in the end.  Stay tuned for more photos, coming soon.
  Sam

PHQRR

Looks like a very interesting build.  I agree with you that the docks look much better when they are built board by board...:thumbup:

ollevon

I worked about 2&1/2 to 3 hours last night, working on the first dock.  This is going to be the smaller of the two docks which will be placed in the lower right side, just before the river inlet.

Sam

postalkarl

Hi:

Looks like you're off to a good start.

Karl

ollevon

I just finished the smaller dock and it fits nicely in it's location. I now have to add the dock supports,  pilings, and a lot of dock details before I can start on the larger dock. and then after that I will go onto the dry dock.

sam

cuse

Is that actually board by board or did you scribe in that effect? :o

Looks great.

John