Snug Harbor

Started by ollevon, May 12, 2014, 09:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollevon

Sorry hit the wrong key  but what I was going to say is now that it's close to Halloween, you can pick some up at any department store,  that sells Halloween stuff. This is what I have and it gos a long way. This is what I have left after I completed the waterfall.

AS you can see this stuff is stretchable unlike cotton.
  Sam

ollevon

This is the first layer on the surf. when this  cures I'll add another thin layer, and that should finish it.

Sam

S&S RR

Very fine water affect.  I have got to try this.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ollevon

Good morning all, last night I added a small J L Innovative Design kit to Snug Harbor, but I am undecided if I want to keep it there or not. So I'm looking for some advice from you all on whether it should stay or go .     The first photo is without .

This is with.

Thank you all in advance.
  Sam

GPdemayo

Looks good to me Sam.....gives it a busier look, more of a working waterfront.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jrmueller

Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

S&S RR

I like it - the more detail the better.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Zephyrus52246

I think it adds to the scene as well, keep it.

Jeff

ACL1504

Sam,

Ditto to the other comments. It goes well with the rest of the structures.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ollevon

Well guys thank you all for your feedback.  My wife strongly  agrees with you all, so I think I better keep it.
  Thank you
  Sam

Mark Dalrymple

Hi Sam.

Just to come in with a slightly different tack.  I like the new wharf a lot.  It adds business and interest.  I like the smaller structure on it, but the larger shed hides a great view of the raised structure behind, which is a very strong visual point.  Can the larger structure be removed, or replaced with something the size of the smaller one, or the smaller one moved to where the bigger one presently is?

Really enjoying your thread, Sam.  That spider web stuff is working a treat for your breaking waves!

Cheers, Mark.

ollevon

Mark, thank you for your comments,   let me try to explain the scene.    The raised structure is in the foreground, which is the draw bridge tender's station. The new dock would be in the rear of that, so as you look at this scene, you are seeing it from the back side of the diorama.

and thank you for your comment on the spider web breakers. they are not quit done yet, and there will be more on that later.
Sam

ollevon

Good afternoon all,  I made my last application on the breakers to the lighthouse. 

Here is where I started.

Then went to here.

and this is the end result.

The Invirotex hasn't fully cured yet,  as it cures I will be teasing the fibers more until I can get it in a more convincing shape, and have the waves stand more upright.

Andy Reynolds

The waves against the rocks are very convincing! I have a BIS Tidewater Wharf kit which I will add to a corner module for the Hub Division Railroad Club (see www.hubdiv.org) I believe the rock casting was an extra which I have now. When I am ready, I will definitely use your technique for breaking the waves onto the rocks. I am really enjoying your attention to every last detail, including the seagulls and do do.. I cannot wait to see the completed project.

ollevon

Thank you Andy, 
   That technique is not very hard to do but you  just have to wait until the Invirstex is getting stiff, which will take 6 to 8 hours.  I suggest you  glue down the webbing the night before. The webbing is like micro fiber but really not same. The next MORNING wet it down with Invirotex, wait until that evening  to start teasing it up, using two tweezers one in each hand.
    I did mine in two layers, meaning one in front of the other.  So if you wish to do two layers you will need to do one get it done let it cure then do the other.
   Good luck,
  Sam