Snug Harbor

Started by ollevon, May 12, 2014, 09:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollevon

I'm almost ready to add the backdrop to Snug Harbor. Still needs a few more details before I can mount it.

Sam

nextceo

Sam,

I went back thru and reviewed your thread. I had a question about the attached picture. Are the rails and the bolts/bolt plates suppose to be red or be "rusty" looking? If they are suppose to be red...then great. But if they are suppose to be rusty looking, I suggest the following:

Goto this website:
http://www.bragdonent.com/smpic/item4.htm

Order the 3 different variations of Rust, 1 soot black, 1 grimy gray, 1 old yeller (yellow), 2 different browns and a white. Its going to cost you about $60 but it will be well worth it...and they will probably last you forever.

To apply these powders, you use a brush. They can be applied dry...but to get the really neat looking shades of rust, you going to want to layer the colors. To do that, youre going to want to dip your brush in water first before applying a color. After its applied, wait a few minutes to let it start to dry...then apply the next color. The same way, dip your brush into the water and then into the container of powder. When the powders dry, they can be brushed off and you can start over again if you don't like the look.

Just an idea...
Alan

ollevon

Hi Alan,
    No, they are not supposed to be red at all.  Thanks for that observation,  and also for the information. I don't have that brand of powders, I have the Bar-Mills powders;  Are the not the same?
I will change it though. I don't want it to be red.  Hopefully it has something to do with the lighting.
  Thanks again,
  Sam

nextceo

Sam,

Yep, it could just be the lighting. In regards to Bar Mills powders, I would assume they are the same...Ive never used them before. What you're looking for is the various shades of rust.

Alan

ollevon

Alan,
The more I look at it, the more I think your right,  the color I used for rust is a little to consistent.  It's just paint only, maybe I can get more variations by add powders to it in the way you suggested. I'll work on that and then post a photo of it.
  Sam

ollevon

Trying to get the rust color to not look so red.

After Alan made the suggestion to use powders over the base coat, here's what I come up with.

Thanks Alan,
  Sam

bparrish

Sam...

Consider this...

Start with a base color that is not red....... eg. rail brown.  Then add rust powders to suit.

Also consider that what you see may not match what the camera and posting to this site sees.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

nextceo

Sam,

Definitely looks better. I would use some Gray or a little Black to tone down the "red/orange" color.

Alan

ollevon

I finished the backdrop for Snug Harbor, next I'll add more detail to the docks, and then pour the water.

Sam

ollevon

Good afternoon everyone,  Alan had suggested to me to post an update on my diorama. These pictures are all I have of the first coat of Mod Podge so far.  I am now working on the 3rd coat which hasn't dried yet. , I will most likely end out with 10 coats of mod Podge. and then a coat of gloss sealer of some sort.
Sam

nextceo

Thanks for sharing...what type of brush did you use to apply the Modge Podge. Dave Frary recommends using a Mop brush but that always seems to produce bubbles on me.

Alan

ollevon

Alan,  I just been using a cheap china bristle brush.  I didn't get any bubbles at all on the first and second coat, the 3rd coat is still drying. I'll keep you posted.
  Sam

ollevon

Good afternoon gang,
  I been working on the water trying to get that rough choppy look to the inner harbor, this first picture didn't have the look I was looking for,so I played around with it a while,and the second picture  is lot more of what I want, so I'll stick with that. Now I just need to add a few more details to the diorama and it will be done and ready for the Expo.

Hope to see you all at the Expo

Sam

nextceo

The water in the 2nd photo looks great! I like how you used a little white paint to make some waves.

Alan

ollevon

Hi Folks, well the diorama is pretty much done, so while I'm waiting for the next two weeks or so for the Expo, I thought I just add a few more details like these seagulls flying around the lighthouse and a few more of the buildings.

Sam