Removal of old layout from benchwork down and more.

Started by ACL1504, December 20, 2013, 06:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I thought it would be interesting to document the removal of my old layout. I don't think there has ever been a thread on removing a layout and all that is involved. I've certainly learned a few things in the process. I'll share them as I get more into the thread.

I have about three dozen photos to crop to start with and I'll be posting them soon.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Well, let me say that if you decide to remove your old or existing layout, make dang sure you have the desire, fortitude and a plan in place when you do. I had the first two but had no clue what was in store for me. I had a very severe case of "a lack of understanding" about the demolition of a layout!

Those of you who know me and have followed my threads, my desire wasn't the issue at all. I have the fortitude to begin the demolition and here is the proof.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Also, since I would be taking hundreds of pictures of the new build and the demolition of the old layout, I needed to keep the pictures separated.

I labeled my old layout photos as LO and a number, such as LO1 - etc.
For the other two threads I came up with this:

NLO - New Layout to document the new build when it actually begins. The photos on the new layout thread as currently posted are just labeled for what they are.

DOL - Demolition of old layout.

When I added my last addition it was obviously empty. I had plenty of room to store stuff and add to the layout. With the existing layout in place the demolition took on an animal of it's own. I started removing sections and had NO WHERE to put them. I had a large display case in the middle of the layout and one I took apart on the floor. This was a major problem as far as space was concerned. I needed another train room to store my old stuff.

To get started, I felt I needed to remove the items under the layout. I especially needed to remove models from the layout and the rolling stock on the layout and what was stored under the layout. I started by removing and packing the extra stuff and rooling stock under the layout!

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I purchased boxes from Public Storage where I have a unit so I can store other family stuff. Yes, I'm paying for a place to keep stuff we are no longer using. Does hoarding come to mind? I'll deal with that later but my RR is a priority.

When I removed the rolling stock, brass locos, some other stuff, etc. I had 42 of the size boxes shown below stacked in storage. 42 boxes of stuff I could open my own hobby store with.

The box is marked small but the actual size is 18" long X 13" wide X 13" high. I filled four of the 24"X24"X24" boxes but they were just to big and heavy when full.

Continued in a few days.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Off to a demolishing start!

I'll be watching to make sure you stay out of trouble...if that possible!  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

gnatshop

That Greg-boy sounds like he wants to lean back against the old layout and be a Supervisor!
Them good friends are like that!!  ;D ;D ;D

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 20, 2013, 08:01:09 PM

Greg,

Thanks for checking in! Anything is possible including me "NOT" staying out of trouble.

Tom
:)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: gnatshop on December 20, 2013, 11:45:58 PM
That Greg-boy sounds like he wants to lean back against the old layout and be a Supervisor!

Gman,

Let me tell you, he is a great supervisor at that! That is if you include leaning up against the old layout!

Tom :)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gnat, somebodys got to do it and I do have a little experience in that sort of thing!
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 21, 2013, 07:45:40 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on December 20, 2013, 08:01:09 PM

Greg,

Thanks for checking in! Anything is possible including me "NOT" staying out of trouble.

Tom

You think?  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Amagic41

I'll be watching as I plan to tear out mine after the first of the year. Only not as big mine currently is a  4.5 x 9 rectangle and I plan to get a little better use of the 9x9 room I have been allocated
Ken Crump
KC's Workshop
Bowie,Md
www.kcworkshop.com

ReadingBob

Having the great pleasure/privilege of being in Tom's man cave on occasion I can tell you that this is by no means a small undertaking.  I recently ripped apart my own, very tiny (4' x 6') layout and that kept me busy for the better part of a day.  I can't begin to imagine the effort this is going to take!

I'll be following along! 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: Amagic41 on December 21, 2013, 09:57:50 AM
I'll be watching as I plan to tear out mine after the first of the year. Only not as big mine currently is a  4.5 x 9 rectangle and I plan to get a little better use of the 9x9 room I have been allocated

Ken,

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look see. I'll be adding more pictures later this evening.

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 21, 2013, 09:27:24 AM

Gnat, somebodys got to do it and I do have a little experience in that sort of thing!

Greg has a whole bunch of leaning experience! Nuff said!

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on December 21, 2013, 10:45:54 AM
Having the great pleasure/privilege of being in Tom's man cave on occasion I can tell you that this is by no means a small undertaking.  I recently ripped apart my own, very tiny (4' x 6') layout and that kept me busy for the better part of a day.  I can't begin to imagine the effort this is going to take!

I'll be following along!

Bob,

Thanks for stopping by and following along. I'm way behind in my photo posting. Fortunately, with a tear out/down not much of a narrative is necessary!

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com