Removal of old layout from benchwork down and more.

Started by ACL1504, December 20, 2013, 06:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

When I got the the "L" corner of the layout I found two more treasures. These have been under the layout for the past 18+ years. The first photo is of the corner, well sort of anyway!

[attach=1]

One of the items I found was an old "O" model of the Indiana Harbor Belt 0-8-0. I think it was either Revel, Monogram or AHM I just can't remember.

[attach=2]

The other treasure was given to me by my father in law. It is his old hand made tool chest. It is solid oak.

[attach=3]

Continued in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

My father in law was a naval machinist in WWII. When his service was over he got hired with a local machine shop in Baltimore. He was on probation when he and another man built this tool box. Also, he had to buy all his own tools for the shop. He got a good start on the tools and then the Baltimore Police Department hired him as a veteran of WWII.

I'll let the next several pictures speak for them selves. You can see his name, K. Johnson, etched on some of the tools. He passed away about 15 years ago and I miss him as we had much in common. He knew I liked old tools and such so he gave me this box.

Continued in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The last picture will show you how much of the layout has been removed to this point in the thread.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Keep in mind this demolition was done over the past two months but I'm just now getting the images uploaded. Here are three pictures of the part of the corner removed and the next part of the layout to be removed.

[attach=1]
[attach=2]
[attach=3]

Thanks for following along.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tom

Great tool box.  I have my Dad's tools and us them every day on the layout.  They just seem to work better than the one's I bought.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

Goodness, it looks like an explosion went off in the man cave!

Isn't it amazing what you come across when you unearth places you haven't been in years.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jbvb

I recall those 3-cylinder 0-8-0s; IIRC Rivarossi introduced them in the early 1970s in both O and HO, built in what was then Yugoslavia.  They were of special interest in New England because they could be re-detailed for New Haven.
James

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on March 16, 2014, 07:40:48 PM
Tom

Great tool box.  I have my Dad's tools and us them every day on the layout.  They just seem to work better than the one's I bought.

John,

The old tools are certainly better than the junk made today! I have a wood handle hammer that is 60+ years old and it hammers just fine!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 16, 2014, 09:55:21 PM
Goodness, it looks like an explosion went off in the man cave!

Isn't it amazing what you come across when you unearth places you haven't been in years.

Greg,

More like several explosions; however, I didn't fine and gold or silver! Oh wait, I did fine about 75 bottles of Floquil and theya re as good as gold and cost almost as much!  ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

OK Tom.......

You made me laugh with that one.... I absolutely agree with you on quality of tools and such of years gone by but...

You commented on an old hammer............. what's to wear out on a hammer ? ! ? ! ? ! ?  But with abuse they can...

But after that you're right...........  I hang on to most any old tool that I have.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

ACL1504

Quote from: jbvb on March 17, 2014, 08:20:06 AM
I recall those 3-cylinder 0-8-0s; IIRC Rivarossi introduced them in the early 1970s in both O and HO, built in what was then Yugoslavia.  They were of special interest in New England because they could be re-detailed for New Haven.

James,

I do remember now it was Rivarossi! Thanks for the information and for following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: bparrish on March 17, 2014, 05:35:11 PM
OK Tom.......

You made me laugh with that one.... I absolutely agree with you on quality of tools and such of years gone by but...

You commented on an old hammer............. what's to wear out on a hammer ? ! ? ! ? ! ?  But with abuse they can...

But after that you're right...........  I hang on to most any old tool that I have.

see ya
Bob

Bob,

I have antique saws that still cut a fine line and a few very old planes that work like new.  Ref. the hammer, I have seen wood hammers that split/splinter or crack at the neck. Remember all the old tools hade wood handles, but like you said, if abused they, well the crack and break!

They don't even make wood like they used to either. That should make you laugh as well.

Thanks for following along Bob, I appreciate it!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Making wood like they used to....... Absolutely correct.  Force fed trees don't make the same as old growth stuff.

My first job was in a piano restoration house in Chicago in 1962.  I was a sophomore in high school.  Damn I'm old...

The guy who ran the  place had this standard thing that he would tell someone when they complained of this figure of grain or that..........  " I'm really sorry but I didn't stand out in the forest and tell the trees how to grow."

Solved a lot of consumer complaints.......

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

ACL1504

Test

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Finally, I got this big photo thingie to work! Now, I need to practice on getting the correct size!

Thanks very much Jimmy! You are Da'Man!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com