Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Mark

The scene is going to look, fantastic.  Your mock-ups really help visualize what's needed for the scene and the mechanics of the track work. Very well done.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tom.boyd.125

Mark,
See your SS LTD kit of the Tickner's Watchworks arrived and you started planning how it will fit in on your S & T RR.
Remember the resin walls of the original Magnuson kit were very tacky before they were primed. Like the look of the concrete poured walls too.
Will follow along...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteThe scene is going to look, fantastic.  Your mock-ups really help visualize what's needed for the scene and the mechanics of the track work. Very well done.

Thanks so much, John.

I think in this case, in particular, the mock-up really brought the structure to life.  I'm really looking forward to building this one - even though I don't particularly enjoy working with resin (or at least this resin).

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteI see your SS LTD kit of the Tickner's Watchworks arrived and you started planning how it will fit in on your S & T RR.
Remember the resin walls of the original Magnuson kit were very tacky before they were primed. Like the look of the concrete poured walls too.
Will follow along...

Thanks, Tommy.

The kit was bought direct from Scale Structures, so the resin shouldn't be extremely tacky like the old Magnuson, stuff.  It will, however, get a nice bath in dish washing liquid and water before priming.

Pleased to have you following along with my progress.  I hope to get this one done in 2021 - but I do tend to jump around a bit.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

We have our annual modeling weekend at Arthurs pass (a beautiful spot in the mountains, on the east side of the Otira tunnel) coming up soon.  Its a great weekend, but I need a project that will keep me busy all weekend, with lots of variety, and without horrid smelly glues.  I decided it was time to tackle my sail makers structure.  This is a mock-up that has been on my layout for years, largely influenced by James Powell's structure on his old layout.  I get the feeling that James was influenced somewhat by Mainline and Sidings 'paper merchant' kit, which, in turn, was reproduced with a bit of a twist by Bar Mills.  James's version is quite different to the other two, so different that I am really just guessing it was influenced by the paper merchant kit.  Anyway, my version will be largely based on James, with my own take on things, and with a bit of inspiration from the paper merchant.

In order to tackle this project I decided it would be invaluable to have a decent set of plans to follow.  I reserve the right to make amendments at any time during construction without council consent!

Photo 1 - shows the MDF mock-up.

Photo 2 - Is a plan showing the exterior walls with ground floor doors and windows, decks, soffit lines, stacks and rooftop water tower.

Photos 3 - 6 - show the different elevations, front, right, left and back.  These are all marked at the bottom.

The main view will be of the front and right side.  The central quad will not have any lower windows or doors, as this will not be visible.  I am going to use Campbell windows for this one, and I will scratchbuild the freight doors.

Next is to prep the walls, windows and trim ready for the 26th - 28th of March.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Jerry

Mark this is going to be another impressive addition!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery

Arthur's Pass is where my wife befriended a Kea...  After we got into our car, the bird hopped up on the windshield wiper and I had a heckuva time getting it to leave.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteMark this is going to be another impressive addition!!

Thanks, Jerry. 

It should be a fun project.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteArthur's Pass is where my wife befriended a Kea...  After we got into our car, the bird hopped up on the windshield wiper and I had a heckuva time getting it to leave.

They are pretty good at dismantling cars too, Dave.

They are very intelligent.  My sister used to live in the little township at the foot of Aoraki Mt Cook, and some of the workman kept noticing their hardware going missing.  One day they discovered a kea in action.  he had been stealing the shiny nails and screws and making a nice little collection on one of the flat roofs.  Everything was neatly sorted into correct sizes and types in separate piles.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

GPdemayo

That is going to be one impressive structure Mark.....looking forward to your build.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks very much, Karl and Greg.

Well the weekend away modeling is drawing close so I have been getting things organized.

Photo 1 - shows my different sidings weathered and 9 bags of stripwood all weathered and re-bagged along with some bracing.  A bath of leather dye and alcohol and then run through a rag of titan buff for the stripwood, siding was painted with titan buff and then some grey splodged on and rubbed in, then the A&I applied.

Photo 2 - shows the windows and doors which were sanded, cleaned with dish washing liquid and water and primed with grey primer.

Like many of you I always find colour selection challenging.  To help with this I made up a series of swatches in colours I thought might work.  I also did a bit of a study into colour schemes I liked.

Photo 3 - shows all the swatches.

Photo 4 - shows my selection narrowed down a bit.

Photo 5 - shows my final selection.  I'm giving a little history to the structure.  I'm surmising that the two buildings were built to the left and the two buildings to the right as separate industries.  At a later date one person acquired both sets of buildings and joined them together with the central structure.  My intention is to paint the left two structures in French blue, the right to in Italian sage, and the joining structure in cool grey.  Trim colours for all structures will be antique white.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

You are quite welcome. Look like you are moving right along.

Karl S

Jim Donovan

Great workmanship and fantastic tips. I will be following along and catching up on this great story.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks, Jim.  Great to have you following along on my journey.

Well I'm back from my trip away to Arthurs Pass so I guess I had better fill you in on my progress.

Firstly, on Saturday I started modeling at 5.40am and stopped just after 10pm.  We stopped for a walk into town, lunch, and dinner out, but otherwise modeled all day.  We also modeled from after lunch on Friday until bed time and from breakfast until lunch on Sunday.

I started by painting all my windows and door antique white.  I did this with a piece of gym sock attached to a pair of reversible tweezers and dabbing with a fine brush with the bristles cut shorter.

I then painted some 6"x1" and some 3"x1" with antique white, again dry dabbing, and then scratchbuilt a set od freight doors.

Next it was out with my pre weathered siding.  I had printed off a second set of my plans and cut out the walls.  These I sorted into their various sidings and arranged to get the least wastage.  I carefully marked and cut out the walls.  As I cut out each wall piece I also marked and cut out all the openings.  I consulted my set of plans many times, as well as making references to my mockup.

Photo 1 - shows the scratchbuilt freight doors.

Photo 2 - shows the scribed siding walls arranged for least wastage.

Photos 3 & 4 - show some of the walls.

More in a sec, cheers, Mark.