Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteThe mockup looks great. Are any of the roadways I see in the mockup going to be rail lines?

Thanks, John.

No.  I have thought about tram lines, but I think if I do that I will put them over to the peninsula where there are no railway lines (visible - there will be staging and a reverse cutoff underneath Ingelltown).

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

All I can say is WOWIE???

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHey Mark:

All I can say is WOWIE???

Thanks, Karl.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well - a bit more standing and trying to decide where to cut the rest of the back wall diorama to create two dioramas.  I tried to cut where made the most sense.  I came up with two different solutions so went and did some 1:1 scale fencing.  Before cooking dinner I made a decision, got out my various saws, and made some more mess.  After hoovering up the sawdust I took some photos of my new dioramas.  There was still a small piece left on the layout to cut out that will be attached to the middle diorama when I took these photos.  I have now done this and it is presently gluing to the rest of the middle diorama.

Photo 1 - shows an aerial shot of the three dioramas with a slight gap between them to show the cut lines.

Photo 2 - shows the left diorama.  This diorama sits next to the corner diorama.

Photo 3 - shows the middle diorama - without the small front addition added.

Photo 4 - shows the right diorama, as shown previously.

I'll try to find time to mock up the left and middle diorama tomorrow.  You can see why I needed to cut this back wall diorama up!  There is still a small piece left of it to the right of the right diorama.  I will probably create 2 more dioramas between here and the right end wall.  These new chunks will be so much easier to handle.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

Looks like the scenery is started.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHey Mark:

Looks like the scenery is started.

Sure has, Karl.

It might be a nice project to have one of these dioramas ready to work on for the upcoming modeling weekend next month.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well I got the middle diorama mocked up in my break this morning.  This is the one that had a small piece to be attached.  This supports the track at the left end.  You can see how I stepped my cut to fit around the Palmolive factory.  this will need to have a piece routered out of the base to bring the track down to the level of the surrounding track.  I will have to refer to earlier photos to get placement of the structures finalized - but its pretty close.  The low relief structures against the backdrop my be revised.  The station and signal box is based on Burkes - a NZ station that I have always loved.  It should be a fun scratchbuild.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Here is the left diorama mocked up.

The stream will come out of a pipe in a retaining wall opposite the Magnuson water works kitbash and cascade down the hill behind the block of shops, under the bridge and in front of the Boxing gym.  The wooden structure is FOS Hollender's boxing gym.  My intention is to put a slight angle in the center.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Keep It Rusty

Very nice, Mark. The overall layout is very dynamic and, again, I must applaud your planning efforts. Looking forward to seeing more.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteVery nice, Mark. The overall layout is very dynamic and, again, I must applaud your planning efforts. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks, Craig.

It was one of those jobs that I knew I needed to do, but had been putting off.  Its nice to have it done.  Now I just have to decide which chunk to start on...

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

hey mark:

coming along very nicely. Can't wait to see more of this .

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Quotecoming along very nicely. Can't wait to see more of this .

Thanks, Karl.

Great to have you following along.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well - I've made a bit more progress with the diorama.  Some rock castings, most of the first road bridge, some footpaths.  I've also kitbashed the last structure for the right back corner of the diorama and started painting it.

This last weekend I hosted a modeling weekend in my garage.  Four friends and me.  Lots of laughs, good music and some great modeling.  I provided lunch on both days and my wife did some home baking for us, and we all went out for dinner on the Saturday night at our local - 2 fat possums.  I'm hoping to make this a 6 monthly thing.

On the Sunday I'd got tired of trying to cut in paint around the windows of my new City Classics kitbash, so I went back to working on the Ships Chandlers, sailmakers and boat builders that I started at Arthurs Pass.  After my last trip to Dunedin to see our son I'd come up with an idea for an extension to the complex.  On the Saturday we went to Moeraki where we stayed the night and had dinner and brunch at Fleurs Place, the famous seafood restaurant.  the restaurant is housed in a cool old structure with many add ons that used to be a whaling station site.  There is also the ruminants of rails coming out of the sea (where the boats used to be pulled up for repairs - I'm guessing, although perhaps it was for pulling whales up).  Anyway - those rails coming out of the sea set a seed in my mind.

I'd already decided that the complex was two businesses that had been taken over by one company and joined together by the central lean to.  So it made sense that the two structures to the left had been built first.  To these two structures I added a retaining sea wall following their perimeter.  In this way I could extend the building downwards, making it a small boat repair shop.  The floor above seems big enough for a corresponding small boat sail makers.  This sea wall I built out of Wills plasticard dressed stonework.  The corners were mitered and glued together with CA.  I then primed with dullcote and painted using the leopard spot method using Woodland Scenics paints - full strength.  Using 6x1" and 2x1" stripwood I scratchbuilt the boat works doors.  I then framed these with 6x2" and glued to the wall.  Tracks will sit on the top of the timber attached to the front of the sea wall, coming out of the water.  As you can see I have also made up my other doors and assembled the last of the structure.  The remainder of the structure will be on a wharf.  The two buildings to the right will house the ships chandlers.  I'll probably open those two sets of doors a bit more and add some action just within.  Again - I'm pleased with my decision to paint the complex in three different colours with white trim, and I think the grey/ brown of the sea wall helps bring it all together.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mark

Great modeling, it really looks nice.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Wonderful! Wonderful modeling once again!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln