Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

Wow!!!!! That is really starting to look just great. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteGreat modeling, it really looks nice.

Thanks, John.  I think its the first time I've added an extension downwards.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteWonderful! Wonderful modeling once again!!

Thanks, Jerry!

I'm getting better at these scratchbuilt doors.  I've already run out of 6x1" and 3x1" lumber.  Another order to Northeastern scale lumber soon...

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteWow!!!!! That is really starting to look just great. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks, Karl.

More to come soon...

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

These wharfs sure swallow up the timber! 

I bought Campbell's Norms fishing pier off trade me a while ago for a pretty reasonable price - with the intention of repurposing it for the wharf for my sailmakers, boat builders and ships chandlers.  To start with I studied the plans closely and using spans and structural elements as a guide, drew up my own plan for my wharf.  I mocked up the wharf and structure atop with boats docked at this wharf and the wharf opposite.  I decided that two boats in this small harbour looked too congested, so decided to add a small floating dock to the side of the Ships chandlers wharf in place of a second boat.  I now have too many boats!  I also tried moving the structure and wharf back by half an inch to make room for a slightly larger boat in front, as well as trying adding a quarter inch in height.  Both these adjustments, although small, changed the visual dynamic of the scene and so the positioning and height will remain as they are.

I cut a piece of 2mm MDF to the shape of half the inlet.  It would have been good to do the whole inlet in one go, but I wanted to keep the size of the diorama manageable.  I cut the 12 degree cut with a drop saw, as well as cutting a second piece for the other diorama base - so I should get a good, tight join.  I painted the base with burnt umber, oxide green and smeared in unbleached titanium.  I'm not sure if I'm happy with my colour yet.  I taped the plan on top of the MDF and marked the center of all the piles using a compass.  I then removed the plan and drilled the pile holes with a 5mm drill bit.  I figured this would be the best way of insuring the piles were installed plumb.

A large amount of scale lumber - piles, bearers, joists, decking and braces, as well as timber for the small upper decks and stairway were weathered and stained.  Weathering was done with a fine razor saw and 180 grit sandpaper.  It took four baths in my leather dye and alcohol bath to stain it all.  This did give slightly different strengths due to the different bath durations.  To allow for this I stained a small amount of all the different sizes of timber in each bath.  The Campbell kit provides sheets of decking, which I will use under the structures.  I managed to get together enough stripwood from other sources to do the visible deck in individual boards.  I used decking the same thickness as the sheet decking.  I may pull some of the stripwood through a paper towel soaked in titan buff for some variation.

Photo 1 - shows my plan.  I spent ages getting my spacings right.  I have also designed the subfloor so that I can run the decking in two directions joining with a stagger pattern at the 45.

Photo 2 - shows the 2mm MDF with the holes drilled for the piles.

Photo 3 - shows the four bath loads of timber.

Photo 4 - is a close up showing the razor saw grain in the piles.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Mark,

The wharf is really going to be a great focal point. I like how you plan your dioramas so they are manageable for give you the best possible viewing.

Looking forward to more on this.

Cheers, Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

You are quite welcome.

Karl

GPdemayo

Impressive dock plan.....looking forward to seeing your build Mark.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Mark

Looks like a great project. I love projects that require lots of strip wood.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteThe wharf is really going to be a great focal point. I like how you plan your dioramas so they are manageable for give you the best possible viewing.

Looking forward to more on this.

Thanks, Tom.

Yes.  Again, there is a lot of work in this one - but also a lot of fun.  It was funny how such slight changes to the positioning and height of the wharf and structure seemed to have such a big impact.  I was really keen to make room for another boat - but not at the sacrifice of what looked right.  I couldn't imagine building a structure and then trying to fit it on the layout.  I've done it once and it took me 7 years to place it!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteImpressive dock plan.....looking forward to seeing your build Mark.

Thanks, Gregory.

I've started putting together the bents...

Cheers, Mark

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteLooks like a great project. I love projects that require lots of strip wood.

Thanks, John.

Yes - I feel another Northeastern scale lumber order coming on.  Shipping times are rather random at present.  I was talking to a chap who waited 9 months for an order.  Ordered last May, arrived this February.  He  tracked it and it bounced all over the world.  Even arrived in Auckland, NZ, then went to Sydney before coming to Christchurch!  I'm at 5 weeks for my replacement Scale structures wall - so guess I can't complain yet...

Cheers, Mark.

Jerry

One of Campbells finest plans.  I'm sure positively you'll make this into a masterpiece when done.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteOne of Campbells finest plans.  I'm sure positively you'll make this into a masterpiece when done.

Thanks very much, Jerry.

And I'll have fun trying!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

I thought I'd give a quick update this rainy Sunday morning.  We've had 80mm (3 1/4") since 3pm yesterday and there is still another 100mm (4") to come.  That's a lot of rain for Canterbury.  We have a red weather alert, and rivers will no doubt burst their banks today and tomorrow.

Photo 1 - I cut out a polystyrene base to sit under the part of the structure on tera firma, and to attach the retaining wall to.  I glued this to my 2mm MDF base.  I glued all my bearer piles to the bottom of the bearers and test fitted them into my 5mm holes.

Photo 2 - I taped a piece of lunch paper over my plan and cut and spot glued my joists to the plan.  I cut the pieces of decking board which sit under the structure to size and glued these in position.  There will be some of this visible in the central quad of the structure and behind the structure, but all the highly visible decking will be individual boards.  I'm about to start on these individual boards now.

More soon, cheers, Mark.