Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Wow- you are moving right along - it looks good Mark. Stay safe that is a lot of water all at once.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteWow- you are moving right along - it looks good Mark. Stay safe that is a lot of water all at once.

Thanks, John.

It was a great day for a job like this!

Fortunately, I put the pig house in the high corner of their paddock.  It is now the only corner not under water!  It is certainly the most rain we have seen since we moved here nearly four years ago.  The city of Christchurch will struggle tonight and in the morning with the tidal parts of the two rivers - especially as we have king tides at present.  So far we have had 120mm (nearly 5") of rain here according to our rain gauge.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well - here is todays efforts.

Photo 1 - shows the decking going on.

Photo 2 - shows the decking completed.

Photo 3 - shows a close up of the 45 degree meeting plane.  We used this technique on a 1:1 scale deck at work a few years ago and I thought it looked very smart.  Now I have a 1:87 scale one too!

Timber was worked out exactly right - I had no decking timber left over - until I picked up my ruler and found one length...

More soon, cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Mark, Cheers,

Wow, the deck looks really great. I love the angled deck boards and how the all fit together. It will look perfect when the structures are in place.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Mark

Beautiful work, my friend. It is really nice to see a good plan come together. I can't wait to see it installed on your layout.

John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteWow, the deck looks really great. I love the angled deck boards and how the all fit together. It will look perfect when the structures are in place.

Thanks so much, Tom.

I'm pleased you like the interlocking look.  It was quite a bit of extra effort in the design and construction stage.  I've been working on a 1:1 scale pergola - 24'x10'.  I'm not sure which has been more work!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteBeautiful work, my friend. It is really nice to see a good plan come together. I can't wait to see it installed on your layout.

Thank you for your kind words, John.

I'm on to the nail holes now - which I do with a compass.  I do enjoy the planning stage - especially drawing up a full set of plans.  It really makes it feel like scratchbuilding.

Rain continues to fall here - although it eased off through the night and our free draining land swallowed up most of the flooding.  The pigs hadn't floated away over night and were their usual vocal selves at breakfast time!  More rain expected until around 6pm tonight.  several farmers moving stock to higher ground got stranded when a river burst its stock banks and had to be heli-lifted out, and one man was washed down a river in his car - now in a serious condition in hospital.  Lots of road closures, wash outs, slips and evacuations.  Funny - we were crying out for rain through summer and early autumn.  it seems we got it all in one hit and when it is too cold for anything to grow.  Its the first day of winter tomorrow!

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on May 30, 2021, 05:21:26 PM
QuoteBeautiful work, my friend. It is really nice to see a good plan come together. I can't wait to see it installed on your layout.

Thank you for your kind words, John.

I'm on to the nail holes now - which I do with a compass.  I do enjoy the planning stage - especially drawing up a full set of plans.  It really makes it feel like scratchbuilding.

Rain continues to fall here - although it eased off through the night and our free draining land swallowed up most of the flooding.  The pigs hadn't floated away over night and were their usual vocal selves at breakfast time!  More rain expected until around 6pm tonight.  several farmers moving stock to higher ground got stranded when a river burst its stock banks and had to be heli-lifted out, and one man was washed down a river in his car - now in a serious condition in hospital.  Lots of road closures, wash outs, slips and evacuations.  Funny - we were crying out for rain through summer and early autumn.  it seems we got it all in one hit and when it is too cold for anything to grow.  Its the first day of winter tomorrow!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Your comment about making the nail holes with a compass prompted me to take a couple pictures of one of the most used tools on my workbench.  This Monster Nailer is a tool that Jimmy used to hand out at train shows to promote his Monster Modelworks business.  It has a single needle mounted on one end and a double perfect for the nail holes in a 2x8 on the other.  I have been going to make a couple more because I'm always looking for the one I have.  The color does help me find it. Jimmy really did some nice Engineering on this little tool.  I would take a few minutes and make yourself one for this job - I know you will keep using it on the many jobs you have to come. I have never seen them for sale but if I ever did I would buy a half dozen.

Stay safe, all that water is scary.  We have had flooding like that here in Michigan from big storms like you are having. We lost some dams last summer that really did a lot of damage.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

hey John:

Looks just great as always.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks John and Karl.

John - It looks like a cool little tool.  I'll give one a go.  Interestingly, after putting all the nailholes in the deck I gave things a wash with my alcohol and dye mix and when it dried they all disappeared.  I've never had that happen before - must be something to do with the grain of the sugar pine versus bass wood.  I gave it a stronger mix to try to bring them out but only darkened the timber.  I might have to lighten it yet - still undecided.  Oh - and we have the same granite bench tops.

OK.

Photo 1 - shows the stone retaining sea wall painted, mortared and glued to the polystyrene base.  The sea wall under the structure butts up against the sea wall shown at left.  I used Selley's quick grab to glue.

Photo 2 - shows the structure being glued to the deck.  I used Aleene's tacky glue for this to give me a bit of time to get things lined up.  I clamped the two clamps to both a piece of flat glass and the table.

Photo 3 - shows my construction method for my smaller decks.  Pretty simple.  A plan drawn showing joists and bearers, taped to the cutting mat, a piece of baking paper cut and taped over the top, spots of canopy glue added for the bearers and away you go.

Photo 4 - shows the deck almost completed from underneath.  I still have the post braces to add - and the spots of glue on the bearers to remove.  Somehow, one of the bearers moved while constructing and I didn't notice.  I'll have to fix this too.

Photo 5 - shows the other small lower deck built and sitting in position.  I have purposely left a small gap between the deck and the wall, as the sliding door on the wall at 90 degrees to this one will need to slide down here.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mark

I have had the same problem with the sugar pine strip wood from campbell kits.  My solution was to use black soft pastel chalk and alcohol and I applied it right on the nail hole with a toothpick. I can not explain what happens to the ink but it disappeared for me, too.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

Looking just great.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteI have had the same problem with the sugar pine strip wood from campbell kits.  My solution was to use black soft pastel chalk and alcohol and I applied it right on the nail hole with a toothpick. I can not explain what happens to the ink but it disappeared for me, too.

Thanks, John.

I'll probably just leave it as is.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHey Mark:

Looking just great.

Thanks, Karl - much appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

A little more progress.

Photo 1 - shows the deck at the right, back corner of the structure along with the sliding door added.

Photo 2 - shows my sailmakers sign.  I framed it in 4x2" timber painted antique white.

Photo 3 - shows the deck at the front right corner and the other sliding door added.  I made overhead runners for the sliding doors from strip plastic and added Vector Cut hinges to represent some metal flat hooks which run on the bracket under the pelmet (or perhaps they have wheels attached at the top).  You can also see the boat builders sign.

Photo 4 - shows me gluing the piles in position and adding cross bracing.  I made up some spacers to keep the height equal.

Photo 5 - Here is my modeling buddy, Neil, working on a weeping willow in 1:32 scale.  He has been working on this tree for three weeks now.  He still has a way to go.

Photo 6 - Here is a close up of the tree.

I'm also well on the way with the roofing.

More soon, cheers, Mark.