Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Shadowlands and Tellynott  (Read 23923 times)

GPdemayo

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowlands and Tellynott
« Reply #315 on: June 22, 2021, 07:50:39 AM »
Excellent job with Norton's Mark..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 04, 2021, 08:38:01 PM »
Hi guys.

Thanks very much, Karl, Craig, John and Greg - I'm pleased you all like my first attempt at lighting.  More to come!

Well - a slight change in tac today.  We have a modeling weekend coming up in a couple of weeks at my friend, Barry's house in Timaru.  I don't like to take anything too fragile to such occasions as they often seem to suffer damage in transit.  Typically I try to be organised with a new project to get underway so I started working on preparations for this.  I chose my passenger station for the weekend away, and this will be based on the station at Burkes.  The link below has a photo of the station and signal tower, along with a partial set of plans.  Just click on them to enlarge.  as you can see she is a real little honey, and a perfect fit for my limited space.  I will still have to do a little compression - but not much.  Interestingly, I drew my own set of plans based on the photo (that I had in a book), before finding these plans.  I was quite impressed with how close I got the dimensions to the prototype by just using a standard door height as a starting point.

https://www.nzmrg.org.nz/product-mainmenu-0/product-650/burkes-station-and-signal-box

Luckily, I recently made use of the Tichy Train roof sale, and so had a lot of windows to choose from.  I still, of course, did not have what I needed, and so had to fabricate some windows fit for purpose.

Photo 1 - shows the starting point.  These will be the gable end windows on the signal box.  This is where I will have to compress the structure slightly, and so a Tichy 8070 was used giving a double sash instead of a triple.

Photo 2 - shows how I cut the window.  I carefully sanded both parts of the window.

Photo 3 - shows the two sections being glued together with CA.  I found my steel rule very helpful here.  The window is upside down.

Photo 4 - shows the newly fabricated window.  The glue residue should be hidden by the primer.

Photo 5 - I did the same thing with a Tichy 8065.

I also used Tichy 8068 windows for the three windows in the bottom story of the signal tower and cut the vertical mullions out.  I also chose to use a Tichy 8071 for the front and side window on the station building.  This is a 8/8, but is the right size.  A Tichy 8217 6/6 would have been perfect - but, of course, I don't have any of those!

Next up will be prepping the windows , siding, stripwood and other details required.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 18, 2021, 04:37:56 PM »
Hi guys.

Well - a great weekend away in Timaru and a fair bit to show for it.  We arrived around 4.30pm on the Friday and modeled into the evening.  Saturday we modeled from around 8am to 11pm, with a trip to the local train show in the morning and dinner out.  Sunday we modeled from 8am to 4.30pm before making our way home.  We also got to see Barry's progress on his layout on Sunday, which is looking fabulous.

I had my windows and doors fabricated and primed, my stripwood and siding weathered and my plans sized.  I had also made a mockup which I had test fitted on the layout.  My paint colours were chosen and I was ready to go.

First up was cutting the walls out and then cutting the openings.  I shortened the sides of the signal tower to suit my fabricated window - about a scale foot shorter than the plans.  The sides were cut the thickness of two pieces of 6"x6" shorter to allow for the corner trim.  After this was done I painted the walls in buff titanium and the trim in heritage red.  The walls required two coats.  I then added some corner trim on the gable walls and cut some bases from 1.5mm styrene.  The walls were assembled using canopy glue and CA on the corner trim.  The windows were glazed and glued in place.  I added a second story floor to the signal tower before adding the back wall and painted some of the interiors (those I couldn't get to later) black.

Next was to draw up a plan of the decking - bearers, joists and the outside perimeter.  I taped this plan to the cutting board and taped some lunch paper over the plan.  Bearers were then spot glued to the lunch paper and joists to the bearers.  I ran three joists along the length of the platform and five at the ends where they will be seen.  I cut my 8"x2" decking on my chopper, varying the length slightly for variation.  I glued down the decking with the structures in position to get a nice tight fit.  the decking will get flipped and short piles added to raise it slightly.  Lastly I made up the stairs to the signal tower and the small deck for the signal tower veranda.

Photos below show my weekend's achievement.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 19, 2021, 12:00:31 PM »
Mark

Very nice work.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 20, 2021, 08:05:44 AM »
Mark very nice indeed!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 21, 2021, 05:34:30 PM »
Hey Mark:

Looks just beautiful.

Karl

GPdemayo

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 22, 2021, 08:55:29 AM »
Lots of lumber in the sidewalk.....it looks great.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 22, 2021, 05:07:05 PM »
Hi guys.

Thanks very much for all your encouragement John, Jerry, Karl and Gregory - it is much appreciated.

Well, after the weekend away I didn't find any time to model until Thursday.

Photos 1 & 2 - I finished off the construction of the second story porch for the signal tower, adding a floor made from stripwood and attaching the stairs.  The deck still needs its legs, so at the moment the stairs may appear to be floating slightly.  I painted the inside of the ticket office black and the back wall of the signal tower.  My friend, Neil, had a signal tower interior for me, but hadn't managed to find it by yesterday.  I measured and cut out sub-roofs for the three structures, scratchbuilt some seating for the waiting room, and added corrugated iron to the waiting room roof (not shown).

Photo 3 - For the ticket office chimney I tried to get as close as possible to the original.  I found two white metal castings, drilled a hole in the top of the chimney and glued in place the vent.  I then laminated some wood and styrene together to get the correct thickness and attached some thin sheet embossed brickwork.  I added strips to the side using CA and carved the mortar lines on the corners using a sharp knife.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 22, 2021, 05:15:30 PM »
Mark, Cheers,

That is a great looking signal tower complex. You got quite a lot done on the modeling weekend.

I love the outside chimney. Excellent way to make it all come together. Very well done.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal