Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 20, 2020, 09:51:23 AM
John,

Thanks for clueing me in on what you used to make the corn. I don't know if I'll have room on my small layout for a farm but if I do I now know how to fill my crib. 

You are absolutely correct that the bands will cover the sides thus making the stave lengths a non-issue.  That's something i should have realized. 

You really do not need to add a red tractor to the farm, John Deere pretty much kicked IH's tail (family forum) once it brought out its four cylinder tractors in the 60's.  Among other things, IH struggled to match Deere's price, then made a series of less than ideal decisions that resulted in their own demise and Deere's dominance in today's market.

Jerry

A have a red tractor scene already in mind.  Actually two but I don't think they will both make the cut.  ;) 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 20, 2020, 12:49:54 PM
Hey John:

Looking just beautiful. As I said love the barn.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along. I'm starting to work on the final scene.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I added this vise to my workbench a few weeks ago and I'm really finding it useful. It's just the right size for scratch building doors and windows. Also really helps in holding small pieces for painting and gluing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I started with the scenery and placement of the out buildings, today.  I'm trying a new texture paint for the sand roadway. Jury is still out on this need to get the rest of the scenery in place before I can really see if I like it.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Added the sand pad for the corn crib and leveled everything before adding the glue.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I will take a followup photograph after the glue dries. I covered the beach sand with the darker sand before adding the corn crib.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally, for tonight, the silo got a coat of gray paint.  I will be adding some chalks to it so it doesn't look like fresh concrete and the starting the process of adding the bands. You can also see, in the background, the roof card going on the brick tractor repair shed. This building will also be getting a coating of chalk to finish the process of making the cement block walls the right color.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Very nice John. You are right about the concrete looking better than the wood.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 21, 2020, 08:12:33 AM
Very nice John. You are right about the concrete looking better than the wood.

Curt

Thank you for following along - the concrete is just what we are used to looking at with silos.  Some chalk for color and texture and then the bands. The bands are a big job.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Great work here John, as always. I'm looking forward to the end result -- as much as the journey itself.

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on December 21, 2020, 10:58:11 AM
Great work here John, as always. I'm looking forward to the end result -- as much as the journey itself.

Thank you, I have spent the last couple of days working on the Silo - it is amazing how much time it takes to get the bands on. I have decided that every great railroad should have a barn with a silo - two silos would be overkill. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Jerry will be happy to know that I'm putting in fencing, today.  HO scale. ;) ;D
John Siekirk

S&S RR

It has been a few days since I have posted a progress picture so snapped a quick picture of the Beach Farms diorama when I quit for the day, today.

The tractor sheds have not been glued down yet, because I'm playing with the position of the buildings. I think they will be moving a little more to the left from this view angle. I made another change to the landform in front of the barn just before I quit for the day. This diorama is going to eat up a lot of feet of fence. :o
John Siekirk

MAP

Great progress John!  The farm scene is really coming along nicely.  Thanks for all of the pics.
Mark