Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on July 13, 2021, 03:02:43 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on July 13, 2021, 01:57:25 PM
Do you think I'm getting it right?

I definitely think so.

As you say, it's all in the details, so once you've added all the people, scenery, trash piles, mini scenes etc... there will be no denying it's a working 1940's coal yard.

Craig

Thank you for your encouraging words.  Here is a picture at the end of the day, for this model, today.  I need to let this one sit a couple of days to let the glue dry.  I'm having trouble getting it to dry because our weather has been so cool and damp.  Usually this time of year the air conditioner sucks the moisture out of the air in the train room.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I will have some progress pictures of my other two builds latter this evening. It's time for the treadmill.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

That's made a huge difference, John.

Looking great.

Cheers, Mark.

Keep It Rusty

Are those Martin Welberg bushes? I love his stuff.

It really is looking great, John.

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on July 13, 2021, 04:50:55 PM
That's made a huge difference, John.

Looking great.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the encouraging words. A layer at a time.  ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on July 13, 2021, 05:40:45 PM
Are those Martin Welberg bushes? I love his stuff.

It really is looking great, John.

Craig

Yes, the bushes are Martin Welberg's. I met Martin at the Narrow Gauge convention a couple years ago, he has sure taken scenery modeling to another level. We had a long discussion about possible new products.  I can't wait to see what he comes out with next.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a few progress pictures from my other projects on the workbench.  I fabricated the eve moldings for the Brownsville Depot and got the first coat of paint on them.  George has your fabricated the modelings with a quarter round glued to the face of a piece of standard strip wood.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

We are in the middle of tower construction on the Sayles Mill build.

The only issue I have had with this tower build is that it looks like it is leaning to me when I gun site it on the workbench.  I have used straight edges and squares ( I include a couple pictures) to assure myself that it is indeed straight.  I have concluded that it is an optical illusion and I'm moving on. 

The curvature affect from the iPhone camera doesn't help.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have convinced myself that it's time to start assembling on the baseboard - which I have completed. Tonight, I'm going to read ahead in the instruction manual and see if there is any reason I need to hold off.  It will be a lot easier to visualize things with them attached in their permanent position on the baseboard.
John Siekirk

nycjeff

Hello John, sometime back I made a comment about dirty railroad workers using the hotel looking building that is your crew quarters. Well, now it looks like a working railroad crew quarters- great job !!!   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

deemery

I think I also commented on the likelihood of a trackside hotel collecting lots of dirt.  Looks great!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey John:

It's coming along quite nicely. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: nycjeff on July 13, 2021, 11:53:38 PM
Hello John, sometime back I made a comment about dirty railroad workers using the hotel looking building that is your crew quarters. Well, now it looks like a working railroad crew quarters- great job !!!   Jeff

Jeff

Thank you for following along and the kind words. I need to complete the scenery and detailing that I can on the workbench then it will go through another layer of detailing to get everything to blend together in location on the layout. I'm starting that process on the layout as a fourth project.
John Siekirk