Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on July 14, 2021, 01:05:47 AM
I think I also commented on the likelihood of a trackside hotel collecting lots of dirt.  Looks great!

dave

Dave

I believe you were one of those that commented on the environmental factors of the crew quarters next to the coaling tower and all of the steam locomotive activity. I think it looks a lot more prototypical now.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on July 14, 2021, 02:23:23 AM
Hey John:

It's coming along quite nicely. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

Karl

As always, thank you for following along - and pictures is what we do here on the forum so I will keep them flowing.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

S&S RR

Today, I retrieved the baseboard for the Sayles Mill build off the layout and started getting it ready for the structures.  I built his baseboard a number of years ago and then changed my mind on the location for the Sayles Mill on the layout.
Now that the location is settled I need to complete the baseboard and add the framework for the complete mill pond which is not part of the diorama as Bob VanGelder built it for the kit prototype. Here is a picture of the baseboard in place on the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a closeup picture from above.  You can see that the foam has taken a beating from the years sitting on the layout in a construction site.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Once I got the baseboard to my workbench I started adding the additional framing for the other side of the mill pond and decided to cover the foam with basswood. You can see in the picture that I filled in the dents in the foam with wood glue as a first step.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is the baseboard with the framing in place and partially covered with the basswood sheet. You can see I used every available weight in the workshop to hold the basswood sheet in place while the glue dried. I use my iPad on the workbench to display pictures when I'm working - here I have some framework on the layout that I need to account for with the baseboard framing so I had the picture to reference. This basewood sheet was some 3/32 thick sheet that was left over from my trestle project.  I like gluing wood to wood and this is a perfect solution to the rough foam surface issue.

Tomorrow, I will finish the basswood sheet and the baseboard will be ready for the structures.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Clean work, Sir.

I can already see that mill sat there!

Do you use a jigsaw to cut your plywood?

NKP768

John - I believe in the fashion world those dents would be called "texturing".....

Doug

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on July 15, 2021, 08:42:55 AM
Clean work, Sir.

I can already see that mill sat there!

Do you use a jigsaw to cut your plywood?

Craig

Thank you, I'm  ready to get it on the baseboard.  I have been seeing it on there for a few years now. ;)

I have a jigsaw but in this case I used a saber saw - it was out on the workbench and I didn't need the accuracy of a jigsaw.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: NKP768 on July 15, 2021, 10:05:28 AM
John - I believe in the fashion world those dents would be called "texturing".....

Doug

Doug

I went furniture shopping with my wife recently and thought it was shipping damage. The store clerk said it was the distressed look. I have some furniture at my cabin that has been in fashion for 60 years.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I started adding the eve moldings and the trim castings to the Brownsville Depot build, today.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

On the Sayles Mill Build, the boiler house started going together.

l foundation.

And the baseboard fabrication was completed.  All great builds start with a good level foundation.

John Siekirk

deemery

John, next time you're at a camera store (on-line or brick and mortar), look for one of those little levels they sell that sit on the flash mount point on your camera.  They're a bit easier to read than a small circular level, and would work great for checking level in both directions on the layout.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on July 16, 2021, 09:08:06 AM
John, next time you're at a camera store (on-line or brick and mortar), look for one of those little levels they sell that sit on the flash mount point on your camera.  They're a bit easier to read than a small circular level, and would work great for checking level in both directions on the layout.

dave

Dave

Great minds think alike,  if you shift the picture over you will see one.
John Siekirk