Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Update:  The baseboard for the Sayles Mill build received a sealing coat of glue.  I do this to keep the water from the application of the scenery materials from warping the wood, and also to seal it for the water pours.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the baseboard after the glue dried.  I find that the Titebond III glue works real well for sealing the wood and it's waterproof. It also bonds well to itself so you get good glue joints when you glue the structures down to the baseboard.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

First, some wire management and a plan to get the electrons to the LED's.  I have more LED's to add so this is going to take some thought.  At least one, maybe two junction boxes will need to be installed.  This section of the layout will be controlled and powered by the same main junction board and power supply as the Beach Farms diorama.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Process Note: I should mention that I now do all my final painting, weathering, and chalk work on my models after they are together and mounted on the baseboard. All the handling that's required to get the lighting working has convinced me this is the way to go. The days of finishing a wall while it's flat on the workbench are pretty much over. I do try to add any large signs while the wall can be laid flat on the workbench, or at least the structure can be laid on it's side so I have a horizontal surface to work with. This process has evolved for me since I switched to using acrylic paints and soft pastel chalks.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally, for today, a few photographs of the Tucker & Cook (aka S&S RR Crew Quarters) build.  I have been adding details a few at a time for the past week or so. I will do one more session on this while it is on the workbench and then it will be moved to the layout for final detailing.  Next week, I will be concentrating on the scenery in the area of the layout where this will be planted. This will be next to the Stone Roundhouse that I built a few years back, I'm really looking forward to seeing this area with detail scenery.

John Siekirk

Bernd

Just catching up on what your doing. Great inspiration for me on one of those rainy days we are having today.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

S&S RR

Quote from: Bernd on July 17, 2021, 01:55:52 PM
Just catching up on what your doing. Great inspiration for me on one of those rainy days we are having today.

Bernd

Bernd

Thank you for following along and the kind words.
John Siekirk

EricQuebec

very nice weathering on the Tucker & cook building.beautiful Diorama, can'T wait to see it on the S&S layout
Eric

Mark Dalrymple

The diorama is coming on really nicely, John.  It will be great to see it in position on the layout. 

Cheers, Mark.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on July 18, 2021, 04:59:11 PM
very nice weathering on the Tucker & cook building.beautiful Diorama, can'T wait to see it on the S&S layout
Eric

Eric 

Thank you for the very encouraging words and for following along on this journey.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on July 18, 2021, 06:36:54 PM
The diorama is coming on really nicely, John.  It will be great to see it in position on the layout. 

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words. I will be soon starting a big push to complete the scenery in the Eagles Nest Yard and give the structures in that area that finished look.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on July 18, 2021, 09:27:46 PM
John, That is one Beautiful modeling sir.....

Dennis

Thank you, my friend. Please stay tuned, more to come.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  The walls to the Sayles Mill boiler house are together and the glue is drying for the walls for the second half of the main structure.

John Siekirk