Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I also started gluing the wall sections together for the Boiler House.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Janbouli

Wow , this could be on the docu , "Massive Engineering Projects", so large and looking great so far.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on June 11, 2020, 03:28:26 AM
Wow , this could be on the docu , "Massive Engineering Projects", so large and looking great so far.

Jan

Thank you for following along and the kind words.  I have a lot of wood to cut and glue to complete the interior framework.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Very cool.  Did you drill holes for the wood to sit in or are they glued flat to the base?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on June 11, 2020, 07:28:48 AM
Very cool.  Did you drill holes for the wood to sit in or are they glued flat to the base?

Curt

Most of the posts are sitting on top of the base.  The front posts sit in holes that are molded in the base. It took a lot of clamping and checking to get things started out square and level but it's much easier once you get the first couple stalls started.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Nice progress, John.  Its really starting to take shape.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on June 11, 2020, 03:14:02 PM
Nice progress, John.  Its really starting to take shape.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for following along - I have a lot of wood beams to put in the way I chose to do this.  I think they will look good as the only interior view will be through the open doors.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The walls are starting to go up on the 4 stall section of the Brick Roundhouse.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The framing crew continues to make progress on the 11 stall section of the Roundhouse.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Very cool and nicely done John. What size wood are you using?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on June 14, 2020, 09:30:36 AM
Very cool and nicely done John. What size wood are you using?

Curt

Thank you for the encouraging words. The posts are 1/8 inch square and the beams are 1/8 x 3/16 inches.  This is the sizes that Bob used in the kit. I will be staining them to look like beams that have been in a smoke filled steam locomotive roundhouse.  I did a color check and stain test in the back left corner.  There is a lot of detail to this interior structure that will not be seen once the roof goes on but I think it will look cool through the open roundhouse doors.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on June 15, 2020, 02:02:24 AM
Very impressive, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the encouraging words and for following along.  I'm making progress - there is a lot of cutting involved with the interior beam structure.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The brick walls are up for the 4 stall section of the roundhouse - waiting on the carpenters to start the interior beams.

John Siekirk

cuse

Awesome structure to compliment your majestic rocks. Those giant beams will look amazing when distressed and stained!

John