Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Update: The roofing crew got the roof on the clerestory and back roofs of the 11 stall Brick Roundhouse, today.  I hope to get the front done tomorrow.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jerryrbeach

John,

I have a little more info on GHQ.  You may already be aware, I was not, they have a Ford 8N complete with farmer driver.  Also, the combine they offer is a John Deere 12A.  That was manufactured from 1940 until the mid-50's, so this is another suitable option for your farm.  That's all for now...
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on July 16, 2020, 07:16:59 AM
John,

I have a little more info on GHQ.  You may already be aware, I was not, they have a Ford 8N complete with farmer driver.  Also, the combine they offer is a John Deere 12A.  That was manufactured from 1940 until the mid-50's, so this is another suitable option for your farm.  That's all for now...

Jerry

Thank you for the information - I two of the Ford 8N kits.  I need to take a look at the Combine.  I also have a vintage steam tractor that I need to decide on how to model.  Restored and working or rusting away in the barn yard. I think I will be adding additional details to this scene for years to come. ;)
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

That's a beautiful barn kit. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on July 16, 2020, 03:12:51 PM
Hey John:

That's a beautiful barn kit. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - I will be getting to it soon.  The roofing crew finished the roof on the 11 stall portion of the Brick Roundhouse, yesterday. Moving on to the four stall section next.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The roofers are hard at work on the 4 stall section of the Brick Roundhouse. Maybe some pictures this evening or tomorrow.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The moving of the Brick Roundhouse has been delayed a day while I attach all the doors.  There is a lot of clamping and waiting for the glue to dry involved. Here is a picture of the first couple going on. The doors are all mounted in place in the open position.  This is going to be a working Roundhouse on the layout and reaching to open and close doors would be very problematic. The back section of the roofing has now been weathered, so the move will happen as soon as I get the doors attached and do a once over on the detailing.  I have a few places where I need to touch up the bricks - where I got to close with a Q-tip chasing run away glue.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I will have a lot of details to add (yes there will be birds and bird poop) once the model is in place on the layout. I have a picture in my head of what I want to do with trees, scenery, etc. The boiler house is on my detailing work bench waiting for the roundhouse placement on the layout. I will be finishing it up along with a possible machine shop off the Roundhouse. I have the pieces made but want to see everything in place before finishing them.

One comment about the baseboard - I'm very happy that I decided to use plywood for this one. Foam or gator board would have way to much flex on something this size.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Very nice work on the SRMW roundhouse. When I did my brick one, since sold it for $2000, it weighed at least 60 pounds. It's good you went with the plywood base. Yet you still need to be very careful when moving it.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

That looks fracking awesome! Love the color of the roof.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Looks GREAT, John!

Good luck with the move.  I guess you will be hiring a crane?!!

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey John:

That's really coming together very nicely. Keep up the great work.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 20, 2020, 10:49:07 AM
John,

Very nice work on the SRMW roundhouse. When I did my brick one, since sold it for $2000, it weighed at least 60 pounds. It's good you went with the plywood base. Yet you still need to be very careful when moving it.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you, yes this is going to take some careful moving. I plan to lift it off the bench on to a cart. Wheel it to the layout location and lift it on to the layout. Mine is resin so it's not as heavy. My Stone Roundhouse is hydrocal and the 9 stalls weighs more than the 11 stall section of this one.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 20, 2020, 10:54:58 AM
That looks fracking awesome! Love the color of the roof.

Curt

Thank you for the kind words.  The roof is weathered with three different colors of soft pastels.

John Siekirk