S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Looks great to me.  I like the photo that you marked up, sure wish I knew how to do that. 

My thought is that everything should lead the viewer's eye into and almost through the scene to the tunnel (a hole now) as well as the beautiful C C Crow building. I'm also thinking a back yard with a swing set and/or a clothesline.  I really like the view "up the tracks" from the trestle.  That not only draws the viewer's eye into the scene but really allows the viewer to peek behind the barn, etc.  My only caution would be to make sure the tractor shed doesn't act as kind of a "view block", that the viewer can see past it to the C C Crow building and the tunnel mouth. 
Jerry

Keep It Rusty

Really like where this scene is going, John. And I'm always impressed with that terrain touching the ceiling :)

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 12, 2020, 07:05:11 AM
I like the photo that you marked up, sure wish I knew how to do that.

If you own an iPhone or iPad, the ability to Markup comes baked into the firmware. As an ex-Apple employee, let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

S&S RR

John,

Looks great to me.  I like the photo that you marked up, sure wish I knew how to do that. 

My thought is that everything should lead the viewer's eye into and almost through the scene to the tunnel (a hole now) as well as the beautiful C C Crow building. I'm also thinking a back yard with a swing set and/or a clothesline.  I really like the view "up the tracks" from the trestle.  That not only draws the viewer's eye into the scene but really allows the viewer to peek behind the barn, etc.  My only caution would be to make sure the tractor shed doesn't act as kind of a "view block", that the viewer can see past it to the C C Crow building and the tunnel mouth.

Jerry

Thank you for your help and comments. It really works for me, too. Once I got past not having the barn and the house parallel to one another.  ;)  The photo markup is the reason I bought my iPad - it is a great way to visualize a scene or a change to a structure. If you practice you can really do some nice things with it.  You have an electronic pencil that you draw right on the screen with. You can buy extra software to help with the process but I usually use the capabilities that come with the iPad. It really is easy to do - but like everything there are some $$ involved.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on November 12, 2020, 07:47:43 AM
Really like where this scene is going, John. And I'm always impressed with that terrain touching the ceiling :)

I like the photo that you marked up, sure wish I knew how to do that.

If you own an iPhone or iPad, the ability to Markup comes baked into the firmware. As an ex-Apppe employee, let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

Thank you for the encouraging words. The mountains that go into the ceiling also have a mechanical function.  When we remodeled our kitchen I installed floor drains underneath the dish washer, and underneath the washing machine in the next room, which happen to be right above this part of the layout. The drain pipes go through the center of the mountains. I also have a center beam support that runs through the center of a mountain on the other side of the room.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

Gentlemen,

Thanks to both for offering to help me learn how to use an iPhone or iPad to mark up photos.  I don't see either in my immediate future. 

Jerry

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, John.

I wonder whether the house is just a little too close to that big drop off?  The perspective from the two larger structures in front and the smaller one behind really creates a feeling of distance.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey John:

Great looking house and barn. Can't wait to see it finished with all it's scenery.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on November 12, 2020, 02:03:33 PM
Looking good, John.

I wonder whether the house is just a little too close to that big drop off?  The perspective from the two larger structures in front and the smaller one behind really creates a feeling of distance.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Interesting question - after further review I moved it back about an 1 inch and in about a 1/2 inch this afternoon before marking the glue position. This opened up the scene for some more details and also helped with any sleepwalking problems along the cliff.  :o  There will be a fence running the full length of the property. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on November 12, 2020, 04:59:03 PM
Hey John:

Great looking house and barn. Can't wait to see it finished with all it's scenery.

Karl

Thank you Karl, I'm making a little progress each day with the details and out buildings.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is one of the details from, today.  I think every farm in America has one of these hay rakes rusting away on the property. I know my Grandparents farm does.

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

I hope you know that in the era I model that is a piece of front line equipment. ;D
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 13, 2020, 07:17:41 AM
John,

I hope you know that in the era I model that is a piece of front line equipment. ;D

Jerry

Yup, we have to be careful with time frame in this hobby. ;)
John Siekirk

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln