Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Nice real estate finding, John.

One request for your Tucker and Cook build - a different trim colour to that on the pilot model.  Not my favourite colour scheme.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 06, 2020, 10:26:11 PM
Nice real estate finding, John.

One request for your Tucker and Cook build - a different trim colour to that on the pilot model.  Not my favourite colour scheme.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you, I agree the colors on the pilot are not just right for my location choice. Now, this is one of the things I struggle with, what should the colors be.  I will have the G. Wiliker's in white right next door and the coal tower in natural wood so I need to find the right colors. Any ideas would be appreciated. The story with this build is that the mill was converted into crew quarters when the railroad took over the valley. I may start with my color samples of Hunterline stain - I like the look of stain with a dry brush pastel chalk of the same color to look like older fading paint. In the next few days I will take a picture of the location with the color samples laid out to get the thought process going. I can get started on the build before I need to choose the color scheme.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

I'm guessing you are already aware that Jaime did a build thread of this kit.

South River Modelworks 370 - Tucker and Cook Cotton Yarn Mil (modelersforum.com)

As for colors, Vilius built two versions of Microscale Models McGees Hotel.  One is medium green with off white trim, the other a very pale gray green with medium green trim.  I'm not comfortable posting his photos here without permission.  If you Google Microscale Models McGee's you will find several images of them in both color schemes.  I'm thinking either would probably be appropriate for your era.
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 07, 2020, 10:18:49 AM
John,

I'm guessing you are already aware that Jaime did a build thread of this kit.

South River Modelworks 370 - Tucker and Cook Cotton Yarn Mil (modelersforum.com)

As for colors, Vilius built two versions of Microscale Models McGees Hotel.  One is medium green with off white trim, the other a very pale gray green with medium green trim.  I'm not comfortable posting his photos here without permission.  If you Google Microscale Models McGee's you will find several images of them in both color schemes.  I'm thinking either would probably be appropriate for your era.

Jerry

Thank you for the references - I read through Jaime's build thread, again.  He really did a great job with it. Also, found Vilius' builds with a search.  Definitely some color combinations that are in the running. I need to put the pictures in the site and stand back and take a look.  It's my way of visualizing.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteThe story with this build is that the mill was converted into crew quarters when the railroad took over the valley.

How about using some version of the railroad colours on the structure?  It would make sense that when the railway took over the building as the crew quarters that they painted their newly acquired building using the railroad palette.  The colours could be subtle.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey John:

beautiful job on the structure so far and also muchly enjoyed the layout pics as always.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 07, 2020, 12:59:48 PM
QuoteThe story with this build is that the mill was converted into crew quarters when the railroad took over the valley.

How about using some version of the railroad colours on the structure?  It would make sense that when the railway took over the building as the crew quarters that they painted their newly acquired building using the railroad palette.  The colours could be subtle.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

I like your idea but I'm not sure how to implement it, yet.  The railroad colors are the maroon and yellow that you see in this picture of the Locomotive works.  I used this combination on the Locomotive works and on the Stone Roundhouse and also on the Grandpa John Welding (FSM Swakhammers). I'm considering the maroon (probably washed out) as the main color for the building with the yellow as a trim. Just thinking out load and playing with your idea at this point.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 07, 2020, 07:05:37 PM
Hey John:

beautiful job on the structure so far and also muchly enjoyed the layout pics as always. 

Karl

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the encouraging words. I'm going to be switching back and forth between completing these two builds on my workbench and future planning for the completion of Eagles Nest Yard and my future town of Vansel for the next couple of weeks.

I can't wait to get the scenery materials out and really finish up all the builds in the Eagles Nest Yard.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Check out the bakers general store from kit no 380 from SRM.  The yellow is toned way down and looks good against the maroon trim.  I'd be skeptical about doing it the other way around.  I'm guessing the maroon paint might cost a lot more and so be prohibitive as the main colour.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 07, 2020, 10:27:26 PM
Check out the bakers general store from kit no 380 from SRM.  The yellow is toned way down and looks good against the maroon trim.  I'd be skeptical about doing it the other way around.  I'm guessing the maroon paint might cost a lot more and so be prohibitive as the main colour.

Cheers, Mark.

I agree that making the maroon look good washed out is a long shot. I like it as a trim color. I checked out what Bob did on his Bakers general store and it is a real possibility. I need to actually see a sample next to the other buildings in this area.  Stay tuned.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Just finished reading the last 11 pages of this wonderful thread. Wow, you've been very busy while I've been laying around. I love progress like this and plan to get back into mine full time by the end of the year.

BTW, I love the eagles on the roundhouse sign.

Fantastic layout and thread John, thanks for sharing and taking the time to document it for us folks.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey John:

That loos just fantastic. Love the colors and especially like your stone work.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 09, 2020, 06:02:01 PM
John,

Just finished reading the last 11 pages of this wonderful thread. Wow, you've been very busy while I've been laying around. I love progress like this and plan to get back into mine full time by the end of the year.

BTW, I love the eagles on the roundhouse sign.

Fantastic layout and thread John, thanks for sharing and taking the time to document it for us folks.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for stopping by the thread and it's sure good to hear your feeling better and getting back at your layout. I look forward to following your updates. I have a couple more eagles to place when I find the right locations. I really enjoy the interaction with the great modelers that share this forum.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 09, 2020, 06:32:58 PM
Hey John:

That loos just fantastic. Love the colors and especially like your stone work.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for stopping by. I always appreciate your encouraging words.
John Siekirk