Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Speaking of castings on the workbench, the casting that I prepped last week have all been through the paint booth for priming. The new airbrush works great with the acrylic paints. I did discover for myself that Vallejo air paints do have a shelf life (as reported here on the forum) - two of the 1/2 oz. bottles that I tried had dried out to the point that I wouldn't try to put them through the air brush even with lots of thinner. I had another bottle because I was afraid I was going to run out half way through the project so it didn't slow me down. I will be buying my paints looking ahead about three to four projects from now on.

It's easy to find the castings for Jerry's red tractor, now.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The walls for the Brownsville Depot have been braced, primed, and painted.  Next step will be gluing them together.

I noticed that George called for 1/4 inch square bracing for the main brace on these wall sections.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally, for tonight, here are a couple progress pictures on my Bonney Wrench build.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, Loving it, Did you use a airbrush to paint your wall's ? Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 08, 2021, 08:16:48 PM
John, Loving it, Did you use a airbrush to paint your wall's ? Dennis

Dennis

I did use an airbrush on the walls for the Brownsville Depot - a first for me. I adjusted the airbrush so I got a light layer of the interior yellow over the earth primer. The primer is actually showing through.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, How does it look and compare to the traditional way? Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Not to hijack, but I use an airbrush a lot on my builds.

An airbrush will give you a smoother finish, and can offer gradients too (I use mine to my the bottom of my walls darker, let's say)

It's a tool I don't go to war without.

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 08, 2021, 09:20:46 PM
John, How does it look and compare to the traditional way? Dennis

Dennis

I'm learning about what my air brush is capable of so this is a difficult question for me to answer.  I'm real happy with the look and finish I achieve with stains and chalks so the airbrush is being used for priming and in this case the base coat of color. I will be adding chalk over the paint to get the color I'm looking for.  I believe that using the chalks helps to dull down the color a bit and the texture of the chalk plays a role in that.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on March 08, 2021, 10:08:29 PM
Not to hijack, but I use an airbrush a lot on my builds.

An airbrush will give you a smoother finish, and can offer gradients too (I use mine to my the bottom of my walls darker, let's say)

It's a tool I don't go to war without.

Craig

Thank you for posting this - I have been watching what you are achieving with your airbrush and it's great. I plan to get to the point where I will be using mine for some of the detailing work, too. At that point it will be another tool in the detailing box.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on March 09, 2021, 02:01:17 AM
Hey John:

Bonney's is looking just great.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - some more detailing and it will be ready for the layout.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Sounds good. Post some finished pics OK.

Karl

S&S RR

Update:  I have been working on scenery the past few days. Most of the work has been in the Beach Farms area but I plan on  going around the base of the big trestle and then through the Eagles Nest Yard.  This is going to be a big project so I will post progress pictures as I complete an area.  This is project one in my usually three projects at a time.  I also have the FSM Brownsville Depot on my workbench and will soon be replacing the Bonney Wrench build with SWRW Sayles Mill build. As always, a few progress pictures throughout the builds and then some finished pictures on the workbench and then as it installed on the layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are my final workbench pictures of my Bonney Wrench Build. I have some more details to add but want to do it in location on the layout.

John Siekirk

deemery

John, do you have a photo that shows how you ran the wires for the lights inside the structure?

Thanks in advance!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to