Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on April 21, 2021, 05:19:38 PM
Hey John:

Looks good. Can't wait for some progress shots.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along.  I will be finishing up the Eagles Nest Yard area before you will see many progress pictures from this area.  I needed a design and benchwork project so I decided to get this area started - for a change of pace. In a few weeks I will be back on the scenery and structures that are need to finish the Eagles Nest Yard.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I took this picture of the first section of upper level benchwork to use for iPad markups. I really like raising the church one inch. How many structures will Vansel end up with? The flat slab that was Vansel is quickly disappearing.  Now for some negative elevation.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Area looks good. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Karl

nycjeff

Hello John, glad that you are getting back into your train room, you've had a rough few months. Hope that our wonderful hobby helps you to get back into a good place. Can't wait to see what you do with this new area. With that background, I don't see how you can miss.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

S&S RR

Quote from: nycjeff on April 23, 2021, 04:27:38 PM
Hello John, glad that you are getting back into your train room, you've had a rough few months. Hope that our wonderful hobby helps you to get back into a good place. Can't wait to see what you do with this new area. With that background, I don't see how you can miss.   Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thank you for stopping by the thread.  Yes - it has been rough couple of months and I'm sure looking forward to more time in the train room.  The scene in this area is very deep (about 8 - 10 feet) so I want to create an elevation change that shows off all the structures but looks very natural.  I will keep sketching and mocking things up until I get what I'm looking for.  Stay tuned.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  I have made a lot of progress with the design for the town of Vansel. I have twenty pages in Notes of structures /kits and the design changes I want to make.  I originally did my footprint study using the dimensions from the baseboard for each kit from the instruction sheets. Now, that I have a rough plan, I'm going to get serious about placement with the new dimensions with the roads and tracks in place. I'm going to do this project using a CAD package on my MacBook called TurboCad.  This is a great evening project in the cabin. No TV here, and very limited internet from my cell phone. I will post the printout from TurboCad when it is complete.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Great progress on the S&S Railroad. I need to get my a** in gear and do some A&S RR stuff.

Very well done my friend.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 26, 2021, 03:35:14 PM
John,

Great progress on the S&S Railroad. I need to get my a** in gear and do some A&S RR stuff.

Very well done my friend.

Tom  ;D

Thank you, my friend. I kinda got the wind knocked out of my sails the last few weeks but I'm getting it back.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: My activity on the layout has been an hour here and and an hour there this past week.  I continue to work on the details for my challenge build the "Crew Quarters for the Eagles Nest Yard".  The FSM Brownsville Depot and the Sayles Mill are both started and on my workbenches but I haven't made any progress in the last few weeks. The life getting in the way issues I have been having coupled with all the Spring chores have really limited the time I have to spend on the layout build.  I have also spent a lot of time this week taking measurements so I can work on the design for future areas on the layout when I'm traveling this summer (I'm hoping we can travel this summer). Once the Eagles Nest area is complete my next big project will be the town of Vansel that has been discussed over the past few pages of this thread. So that's what I have been doing - pictures and future updates to follow when I have progress to report.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Sounds good, John.

An hour here and an hour there still adds up. 

Good luck with the travel plans.  I see the USA is still hovering around 50,000 new cases a day.  These new variants aren't helping.  NZ put a ban on flights from India a few weeks ago.  We now have a special separate quarantine facility set up for flights from hot spots and flights from India have resumed.

I'm plenty busy with the autumn chores here.  I have my modeling weekend here the first weekend in May, so this weekend I have to clean out the garage for my guests!

Right - back to the pruning and planting!

Cheers, Mark.

Jerry

John really looking forward to the new section.
I'm sure there be some surprises along the way!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on April 29, 2021, 10:16:51 PM
Sounds good, John.

An hour here and an hour there still adds up. 

Good luck with the travel plans.  I see the USA is still hovering around 50,000 new cases a day.  These new variants aren't helping.  NZ put a ban on flights from India a few weeks ago.  We now have a special separate quarantine facility set up for flights from hot spots and flights from India have resumed.

I'm plenty busy with the autumn chores here.  I have my modeling weekend here the first weekend in May, so this weekend I have to clean out the garage for my guests!

Right - back to the pruning and planting!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

The virus is still doing its thing here,  Michigan where I live is one of the hot spots. Amy and I have both had our shots but it's unclear if we could give it to someone because we get it and don't have symptoms. Hopefully this will be the last flareup. Our numbers are dropping the last two weeks. We have about 50% of the population vaccinated at this point. Of the 46 plus million people that have had both shots only 7800 have been documented with a positive test after the shots, but their symptoms were mild.

Good luck with your fall chores and the modeling weekend. I still have trouble getting my head around July being winter. We live in an amazing world - and it's getting smaller every year. I will be modeling all summer but not at anywhere near the pace I was last winter.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on April 30, 2021, 09:20:35 AM
John really looking forward to the new section.
I'm sure there be some surprises along the way!

Jerry

Jerry

I'm looking forward to it, too. I think I enjoy the design process as much or more than the building. Lots of ideas to be looked at before  starting the build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The walls are starting to go together for my Sayles Mill Build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I always do a dry fit before the castings go to the layout bench for gluing.  During this process the top of the casting is labeled along with joint numbers.  This keeps me from getting castings turned around during the gluing process.

John Siekirk