Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on June 03, 2021, 03:28:05 PM
How will the hatch work?  2 people, one to push up from underneath and the other to grab it?  Or will everything be nailed down tight so you can tilt the hatch and pass it through the hole?  I always learn from your engineering!

dave

Dave

My hatches are designed to be removed by one person. I'm usually working on the layout alone. I grabbed a couple pictures out of the archive to describe how they work.

First, here is a picture of the hatch after I lifted it up from underneath. I just lift it up and set it over on the yard sidings that are next to the spot. From here on out with the structures attached to the hatch cover and structures in and around the yard I will first setup a place to set it down on. This is a great application for the bench cookies that I discussed in my previous post. They would set on the track and the stickup will clear any structures in the area. If I want to completely remove the hatch from the layout I can reach it from the isle way.  The hatch I have planned for the Vansel area will work the same way. You have to make sure that you plan ahead for the location of the hatch and the landing spot when you want to do this as a one man operation.

In this next picture you can see part of the shelf that the hatch sits in when it is in place. Up to this point the plywood hatch has been just sitting on the shelf or ledge. Now that I'm going to finish this area it will screwed down with the screws running through the shelf into the plywood.  The screws are removed from underneath the layout. The scenery in this area will be completed with the hatch removed. So I don't end up gluing the hatch shut.  Once the hatch is put in place the seems will be hid with ballast and dirt applied dry. The track is gapped over the seems so all of the electrical power for the hatch cover needs to be connected through a junction box with removable wires.

You will notice that there are gaps in the shelf - the size of a 4 inch putty knife.  Once the hatch is in position I can just put a putty knife through the seem to start getting the ballast out of the way. I then run the shop vac over the seem before I remove the hatch. Once you get things started in one location it seems to get it started along the whole seem. When the hatch goes back in a little dry ballast or dirt and the seem is gone.

As I finish this area I will try to remember to post some pictures to show how this works out.  I hope this helps answer your question.  Please let me know if you have any more.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Update:  I returned from my fishing trip, today and got right back to work on the layout. The window castings are installed in the Brownsville depot build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also removed all the weights from the Tucker & Cook and Coal tower build. Now I'm having second thoughts about the placement of the smaller out building which is a bathhouse and locker room for the railroad crews on the S&S RR.

I may use the space originally planned for the bathhouse building for another structure build and tuck the bathhouse in behind the loading dock and warehouse. Here are a few pictures that I took to help with the thought process. I like the idea of adding another taller structure behind and to the right of coaling tower to help balance out the scene. I need to sleep on this one.

John Siekirk

deemery

Thanks for the info on your access hatches.  I have one corner that is out of reach from the aisles, so I built a (foam) hatch for that.  But fortunately all track is within reach without hatches, that's just to get scenery into that far corner.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on June 08, 2021, 08:14:38 AM
Thanks for the info on your access hatches.  I have one corner that is out of reach from the aisles, so I built a (foam) hatch for that.  But fortunately all track is within reach without hatches, that's just to get scenery into that far corner.

dave

Dave

You are welcome. I would prefer not to have the hatches (they are a lot of work) but I had to do it to get the depth I was looking for to the scenes in these areas.
John Siekirk

tom.boyd.125

John,
Always enjoy seeing the latest updates to your empire.
All the structures look great and that MOW bridge is really neat.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on June 08, 2021, 01:12:10 PM
John,
Always enjoy seeing the latest updates to your empire.
All the structures look great and that MOW bridge is really neat.
Tommy

Tommy

Thank you for following along and you kind comments.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Today was cleanup the workbenches and organize each of my three build projects so I had all the pieces for each build on the same workbench.  It was a bit of a task - as usual - I had parts all over the workshop as I batch painted and prepared for the three builds at once. I still have a couple items on the MIA list but I know they are here.
Tomorrow, I will be getting back in the structure building business. When I get to the point where I need a brake from the workbench I will be starting the finish scenery for the Eagles Nest Yard. Okay - we have a plan. ;)
John Siekirk

Jerry

Always good to have a plan John.

Like the way you do the hatches.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on June 10, 2021, 09:00:30 AM
Always good to have a plan John.

Like the way you do the hatches.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you,
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: A few progress pictures from the workbenches. First continued adding the details to the Tucker & Cook build. Gluing on the bracing for the roof over the doorway.

Adding the interior detail to the news stand for the Brownsville Depot.

Cleared the windows and added the bracing for the floors in the main building.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

hey John:

great progress so far. Can't wait to see some paint on that stone building.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on June 14, 2021, 08:52:12 AM
hey John:

great progress so far. Can't wait to see some paint on that stone building.

Karl

Thank you for following along Karl.  I hope to get the primer coat on it this week.  I need to build up the wood top level of the building and then prime it all at once.
John Siekirk