2020 Challenge Carolina Craftsman Kit #CCK1359 - AD Low & Company

Started by GPdemayo, January 26, 2020, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Thanks John.....I'm having a fun time with the modeling again.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks Curt.....the kinks are slowly getting worked out.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

I'm getting close to the end for this one and I can't procrastinate with the darn window glazing any longer.

The first two I tried before popped off when I inserted the frame into the wall. I finally cured this with re-cutting the acetate a bit smaller.

The next problem I had was with the glue. I have been using the new bottle of Titebond that I just purchased and after gluing a couple of window frames, it dawned on me that this stuff doesn't dry clear like white glue. The 5 year old bottle of canopy glue that I have looks to be reasonably okay after a good mixing, so I tried that out.

It seemed to work out okay, but I am less than pleased with the results. My glazing gluing skills efinitely need a lot of work. The results are below.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-080)

I then got all the windows and doors glued onto the building walls.

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-081)

Exhibit #3 - (ADL-082)

Exhibit #4 - (ADL-085)

I decided that this structure would need a foundation, so a slab on grade was decided upon and cut from a piece of 1/16" sheet stock. After  getting it cut, the area under the overhang was scored with a #11 blade and stained for a concrete look.

Exhibit #5 - (ADL-086)

I'll get to the miscellaneous details, trim, light wire holes drilled, hoist brace and pulley, etc. completed and post those next time....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Excellent modeling Greg. I use WS Foam Tack glue. It has a quick drying rate.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Thanks Curt.....you can give me details about the glue when we chat next.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks Jan.....when I started the kit, I wanted a bit of a different look and decided on a faded out blue. I'm happy with the way the main building came out, but the addition still needs a bit of work.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

It's looking great. I like the color you chose. What shad of blue is it?

Karl

GPdemayo

Thanks Karl.  :)

The walls were painted several years ago when I first started the kit and I didn't write down the color. I know it was Polly Scale, as this was the first time I had tried a water based paint on a model.

In looking thru my stash, my best guess is that the base is "GN Big Sky Blue" with some white mixed in and a white wash applied over the dried first coat.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Onto the miscellaneous details, but first.....

There was a problem with the foundation that kind of reminds me why some of my clients specify post-tensioned slabs in some areas of Texas.....mainly around the Dallas area.

Clay heaves in the rainy season and has an alarming habit of moving the slabs in the most inconvenient areas. The model foundation must have experienced some of this on the workbench.

The 1/16" piece that I cut from sheet stock began to curl at two of the corners so some post-tensioning was needed on a 1:87 scale.

Pieces of bracing were cut, glued, clamped and left to cure overnight....problem solved.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-087)

Next up was to cut holes in the foundation and 2nd floor to provide access for future lighting. I want to add a ceiling light over the covered loading area in the front and a goose neck light over the rear door. I''ll get to that after I attend a lighting clinic at Reading Bob's at some time in the near future. The 1st floor hole is shown in the photo above.

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-088)

The kit comes with a metal casting for a hoist over the 2nd floor loading door at the end of the building. The casting was filed, primed, painted and super glued in place.

I added a spike at the side of the door to hold the hoist "rope". Need to find a better looking rope.....any suggestions would be appreciated?

Exhibit #3 - (ADL-090)

Shades were added to all the windows and doors. I used the ole' Langford trick of painting paper napkins from one the areas better restaurants.....they use a better quality, thicker paper.

Exhibit #4 - (ADL-089)

Exhibit #5 - (ADL-091)

I'll get this kit weathered and declare it semi-complete next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Rope - Why not brown thread?  Half inch real world rope would scaled down to 0.07" or so.  Once you have the shape or tautness, add some thin super glue to hold the shape.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL