Printer Suggestions

Started by richbeau, April 09, 2020, 05:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richbeau

I need a small inkjet for printing signs. I don't have a big budget - say around $200usd max.
Anyone?
--Rich

Janbouli

??? Inkjet , you can get a decent one for 60-80 usd, you don't mean a laserprinter do you?
I love photo's, don't we all.

NEMMRRC

Quote from: richbeau on April 09, 2020, 05:29:41 PM
I need a small inkjet for printing signs. I don't have a big budget - say around $200usd max.
Anyone?
--Rich
Any EPSON or HP printer should do the trick.

Try to find an HP color laser one for that price.

The inkjet printers use expensive ink cartridges. You might as well buy a new printer each time you need more ink lol.

Seriously, for $200 try to buy an HP color laser.

Jaime

Rail and Tie

Hi Rich,

Its a Laser printer not an ink jet, but I just bought one on sale for $200 CANADIAN!!!. Probably some good deals in the US as well.

OKI C532dn  it is a true 1200 x 1200 dots per inch printer which is a laser printer.  It prints awesome signage and decals. I really like it for signage as it is much more waterproof for the ink etc. 

This might not help you if you are set on an inkjet, but just in case.

Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

jerryrbeach

Rich,

I have a couple HP inkjet printers.  Both offer the ability to scan and copy, something I find important, especially for reproducing signs that come with a kit.  My older printer is a 3880, the newer a 4430.  Neither is able to duplicate the bright colors when copying signs.  I do not find having the signs look more faded a liability.  Both were less than $70 so you should be able to buy a better unit given your budget.  I chose these because I had an HP inkjet at a previous job and it performed reliably.  Another thing that figured into my decision was they take two cartridges, one black, one color.  This makes it easy for me to stock spare cartridges.  Other manufacturers, Lexmark comes to my mind, require multiple colored cartridges.  They run out at differing rates, so you either need a half dozen colors as a backup, or a nearby source.  One drawback to these inexpensive printers is that they will not enlarge or reduce without scanning to the computer and manipulating the image size using computer software.  The drawback is loss of clarity when it has to be done in this way.  Given your budget you should be able to find a unit that will enlarge or reduce from the copy you place on the glass.  This is the one thing I regret not having.  HTH.
Jerry

NEMMRRC

Quote from: NEMMRRC on April 09, 2020, 06:34:43 PM
Quote from: richbeau on April 09, 2020, 05:29:41 PM
Anyone?
--Rich
Any EPSON or HP printer should do the trick.

Try to find an HP color laser one for that price.

The inkjet printers use expensive ink cartridges. You might as well buy a new printer each time you need more ink lol.

Seriously, for $200 try to buy an HP color laser.

Jaime

Here is one for less than $200 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-m451dn-Printer-Renewed/dp/B06X9X1FG1/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=hp+color+laser&qid=1586472092&sr=8-5

Jaime

Dennis Bourey

Rich, I have a Canon MX920 series printer its a perfect printer it scans all and inlarge or delarge with a push a 2 step button. I've had it for a few years and its wireless and it never gave me a lick of any problem's And will fit your budget.Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

richbeau

I would like just a plain simple printer for HO-scale signage.  I do not nor need what is called an all-in-one, nor a laser, nor a solid ink printer.  I definitely don't need a scanner.

It seems though you folks seem to be saying a laser is the way to go. The colors of the image won't run? I've seen a lot out there but I have no idea how well they handle resolutions and colors.  Do they reproduce well? Do they last awhile?

--Rich

NEMMRRC

Quote from: richbeau on April 09, 2020, 08:55:51 PM
I would like just a plain simple printer for HO-scale signage.  I do not nor need what is called an all-in-one, nor a laser, nor a solid ink printer.  I definitely don't need a scanner.

It seems though you folks seem to be saying a laser is the way to go. The colors of the image won't run? I've seen a lot out there but I have no idea how well they handle resolutions and colors.  Do they reproduce well? Do they last awhile?

--Rich
If you are willing to spend $200 then I'd buy the most I could get for that amount. A laser print will not run as it is plastic pigments fused to the paper by heat transfer. So basically the image is "glued" to the paper permanently. Some inkjet inks are not water resistant and will run.

I sugest you put a couple of images on a thumb drive and go to your office supply store and ask them if they can print you a couple of samples of your images on the thumb drive so you can see for yourself the output of each of the printers they have for sale.

Jaime

Dennis Bourey

Rich, You would be surprise how many times I used a scanner for old advertising magazines or books and increase or Decrease the size to HO Scale. Plus most not all Printers are with scanners today because it probably be just as much without a scanner. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

sdrees

How much are the replacement printer cartridges for a laser printer you are talking about and how often do you have to replace them.  the last time I priced them, they were quite expensive.
Steve Drees
SP RR

darrylhuffman

Printing signs for buildings is one of the most pleasurable part of the hobby for me.

I have both HP and Epson inkjet printers.

Both do a fine job but the Epson is noticeably better when it comes to printing HO scale signs.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

rslaserkits

look at the Epson inkwell printers. The ink is like a third the price of cartages and lasts a lot longer. I got one for here in the shop to print invoices and decals and the Black that came with it lasted at least a year and we have a bigger one in the office which the wife uses for directions. The ink that came with it lasted long enough that the printer paid for itself in the first 6 months as we were buying HP ink for the old printer at least every 2 months at around 150 a pop for the XL cartages were the Epson ink lasted around 6 months on the black and longer for the color. Plus Epson ink is water proof so works for decals, only problem is slow drying on decal paper. 
rich

ReadingBob

Quote from: rslaserkits on April 10, 2020, 06:18:32 AM

look at the Epson inkwell printers. The ink is like a third the price of cartages and lasts a lot longer. I got one for here in the shop to print invoices and decals and the Black that came with it lasted at least a year and we have a bigger one in the office which the wife uses for directions. The ink that came with it lasted long enough that the printer paid for itself in the first 6 months as we were buying HP ink for the old printer at least every 2 months at around 150 a pop for the XL cartages were the Epson ink lasted around 6 months on the black and longer for the color. Plus Epson ink is water proof so works for decals, only problem is slow drying on decal paper. 
rich

Great information.  Hope I can remember that next time I need to replace my printer.   ;) 

Last time I replaced a printer it was an HP that I replaced with a Brother.  I don't use the printer enough to really weigh in on how long the ink would last under heavy use, costs, etc.  I've been happy with it though.  The one thing I do remember about the HP was the battle I had to fight to remove all traces of it from my computer after I replaced it.  I seem to recall having to search the web for tips, manually editing the register, etc.  It wasn't as simple as just uninstalling the software and drivers and the traces of it that were left were causing annoying issues.   >:(  Certainly left a bad taste in my mouth for HP. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jerryrbeach

Rich,

You don't want or need a scanner?  I bought KC's Bonney Wrench kit with its beautiful sign.  Suppose the structure simply won/t fit onto my layout without shortening its length.  I need to shorten it enough that the sign no longer fits onto the wall.  I use the scanner to scan the signs with the kit.  I open my (Microsoft) Paint program, reduce the size, print it out and, presto, the sign now fits the shorter wall.  Like the sign in any kit, but it is the wrong size?  How about a sign in a book or magazine?  Scan it, resize it, print it. 

Want to post a photo or diagram to Facebook or the Forum, or email it to a friend?  Scan it and you can email or post it easily.  AFAIK, unless you decide to buy a $30 printer, they all come with a scanner, something I'm sure you'll use if you have it. 
Jerry