RailroadKits Reese Supply Co

Started by Oldguy, April 26, 2020, 10:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

While I was mulling over the Gas n' Go kit, I came across Reese Supply.  Interesting looking kit as it is leaning to one side, with bracing holding it up.  Typical packages of cast (plastic and metal) parts, scribed panels, and strip wood.
There is no list of material and the instructions talk about color coded wood, but only one piece was color coded.  No biggie.

Instructions were several sheets of typed instructions and hand drawn figures.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

After measuring all strip wood and placing in labeled sleaves, it was on to check on parts that oppose each other.  Sometimes I find parts that aren't the same size size; i.e. end walls that don't quite match or gable ends shorter than it's wall section.  Al little planning and the wall sections match the gables.
The warehouse walls are made up of two pieces trimmed to length.  I used index card stock to add a little strength to the joints.  I did the same for the end wall sections.
I found it important to label most wall sections with arrows to show what edge goes up.

I should mention that I used  the back side to test color options.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Then it was on to bracing.  None was provided.  There is a floor in the warehouse (balsa) and a section of strip wood to act as a floor stop.  There are two door opening and they aren't at the same height.  I'll worry about that later.  I did go ahead and add bracing, albeit after I did the A&I.

Then I found my self struggling to find a color for a falling down building.  I used some extra basswood sheets that I cut up and tried out some weathering powders and pan pastels.  And as I was already in the mood, I colored up some additional pieces with colored weathering powders for future reference.

Before I can weather the warehouse, I needed to get all the parts together.  The gable ends were spliced as the walls.
I couldn't develop a gray/silver wash to my satisfaction, so I went with old stand by powders.  Then to get to individual boards, I made a stencil and randomly colored the boards.  Obviously, one stencil opening worked better that others.
I found that the openings above the doors were a littler too fragile and wavy, so I added a 4x10 as a brace.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ReadingBob

Following along Bob.  Looks like a nice little trackside structure.  :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

Following along.  Nice looking kit.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on nicely, Bob.

Cheers, Mark.

Oldguy

Well guys, thanks for following, but it's going to get bumpy.
The warehouse doors are made from a strip of siding material.  Cut it into 4 pieces and done.  Well , not so fast.  This material developed a curl from the A&I, and looked a bit plain.  So, how about adding some depth with cross pieces like a warehouse regular door?  Got the horizontal pieces on, and one diagonal.  Hmmm, needs another for balance and they aren't gates.   I made a little cutting template, but really didn't need it.  They look fairly decent. But, ahhh, ahhh, a bit big?  Well nerts.  One is too small and two are way too big, even if modeled closed.  Time to start over.  I have siding stock, so redo them.  The end door will be a single door and the side will have two doors.  Meanwhile the warehouse is assembled.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I got the warehouse assembled.  It was a bit tricky since it leans.  I might have to add some wood texture to the end wall.  I didn't think about it showing when I tested some coloring.
At least the office building was fairly straight forward.  I don't know if you can see it, but the left two pieces are made up of different sized siding than the right two pieces.  It isn't readily apparent, so no biggie.  Besides, if any one asks, I got a story ready to go.

Also for the office is an angled stove pipe.  Got the siding flange, the rain cap and a straight piece of pipe.  Well, this will test my mitering skills.  But that's for another day.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

With the warehouse corners glued, it was time to add the floor.  This was a piece of balsa that I used a mechanical pencil to draw planks and nail holes.  It was colored using a Minwax staining pen.  The marks on the floor are from pressing down to get the stain to flow. 

Although perhaps a bit dark, I felt I need to add something on the right end wall,  The one with the paper splices and different colors,  I found a floor cutoff piece that handles the lower wall and some scrap siding for the gable piece.
While that was drying, it was on the the stove pipe.  It took a little bit of trial and a lot of error, but I got 'er done.  I used a bit of sprue, a mini saw and mini miter box.  A bunch of paint should hide the poor welding job, but I got it eventually.
I had given serious thought to redo the dock material, but decided to go ahead and use what was provided.    It was a simple matter of establishing the long end, cutting the corner miter, then slide the short end under that and miter to match.  The intent is to glue the three sections together, flip over, and add 2x10s.  We'll see how that worked out on the morrow.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

It's looking great so far,

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Oldguy

Karl and Tom, hopefully I can keep it up.

I started on the dock.  Amazingly, it all held together.  Now it was a matter of getting the 2x10 glued on, whith a way for me to really see how I was doing.  Due to the bowing, I needed to use magnets to hold it down.  As the various piece of 2x10 were drying it was onto the roofs. 

They idea was to place the roof card under the figure, and using pins, determine the corners of each, and cut.  Welp, there isn't enough card, the pencil mark is what the warehouse will use and not enough for the office.  No biggie as I can use the brown card for the warehouse and some white task-board for the office.  First thing was to find or make a square corner of the supplied card.  I got both cut out, roofing guidelines drawn on,  and the center scored.

Then it was a matter of adding additional 2x10s on the dock as the previous glued pieces have dried.

I might as well add the spacer for the office foundation.  A strip of HCB was provided and the included balsa will become the backer material.  Hmmm, I seem to be a bit short.  This side will back directly to the warehouse, so it won't be seen.  Just as well as the plastic HCB strip won't go completely around the building anyway.
And so, here I am.   I need to get the roofs covered by the tar paper first, then I can glue them on.  Attaching the warehouse roof could be a challenge as it has a floor.  And I see I need to add a 1/8" square piece at the warehouse ridge to stiffen it up a bit.

After the roofs, I need to add the dock and wood piers under the warehouse.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

It's coming along quite nicely. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

Oldguy

I'll add the HCB strip to the office.  This one is a bit wavy, but I'll use it.  The secret is to find the center of the strip, and then center that on the end wall.  Holding that on the sub wall, mark where it will bend around the corner and try to move it a bit so it falls on a mortar line.  I used the end of a metal ruler to get a perpendicular fold.  Add some Goo and clamp it in place.  I did add some scrap material on the short end and gooed the free ends to the scrap piece.

So while that was setting up, It was time to move to the roofs.  I like to add the roofing materials while the roof deck card is flat.  It also make adding the transfer tape a lot easier.  I cut up the provided material into 3' widths and 33.3' lengths.  It all went fairly easy, but of course, there wasn't enough material for both roofs.  Once all roofing, other than the ridge cap has been added, I glued the roofs on.  Both ridge caps were glued into place and left to dry overnight.

Next up were the piers for the warehouse and loading dock.  Theoretically, the piers should bring the loading dock even with the warehouse floor.  I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out.  No doubt, I'll have to trim a pier or two in the process.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond