RS Laser 1st Bank in N-scale

Started by Janbouli, May 13, 2020, 05:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

It's still nice and cool in my workshop , so I'll just keep building small structures for one of the towns on my layout.This is RSLaser's 1st Bank .
The contents.
Primed with gray primer from spray can.

Several sprays later so that the paint gets into the mortar lines somewhat, the brick walls are definitely more detailed then those from the Monster kits.

Decided on doing a different technique for the walls , using Faber Castell Albrecht Durer Water Color Pencils , these can also be used on plastic kits.

Several color's later. I hold the pencils almost horizontally to only color the surface of the bricks.

Then painted the lintels with Tamiya Medium Gray using a 3/0 synthetic brush , good quality so that even though it's very small it can pick up quite enough paint to do a lintel in one stroke.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Great start. I'll be following.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

cuse

Very interesting technique...looks great Jan

John

Janbouli

Thanks Curt and John , glad to have you along.

ReadingBob

I'm following along as well Jan.  Interesting looking kit and interesting technique for coloring.  Thanks for sharing!  :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Jan:

The walls look just great. Glad to see you added mortar.

Karl

GPdemayo

Nice kit and great job on the brick.....I'll be looking in Jan.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Janbouli

Thanks Bob , Karl, Greg , I made a major hiccup on the front wall , will show later , might be using this with the back towards the aisle, I'll see what you guys think .

Janbouli

Painted the base.
Doors and windows painted Poly Scale Aged White. This was the first coat did 2 more after this.

Painted the sidewalk Poly Scale Concrete , and glued on the paper flooring.

Inside wall painted Vallejo Mahogany , it doesn't shine like that in real life.

Then used the template to spray on the sign , I sprayed very lightly at least 6 times  making sure it went on almost dry , but it still went wrong. This is when I started to peel off the template , it was sticky on one side.

And this is what it looked like after cleaning it up a bit, not so happy camper here , don't know what I did wrong and what I could have done to prevent it from bleeding. Next time I'll try another paint type and do it with an airbrush. Maybe Rich could include a small piece of wall in the kits for trying out first.

Well I gave it a wash of gray , I think the bricks even look better now , and I'll just say the sign was removed and they did a bad job on it , or I will add a canopy to hide it.

Mahogany wall in place.

And here's where I got into trouble again and don't know why , had to cut the piece with the booths and door , it would never have fit , maybe I turned the wall wrong side towards the front , but even then it would have been too wide, the piece in the middle cut out was a couple of mm's.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

Thanks Curt , I'm glad the interior won't be that well seen , even if there's a LED light included in the kit.

Oldguy

Ah man, just when it was going so well.  But nice recovery.  I'm not a big fan of stencils, for that exact reason.  Did you try using a stiff stippling or stencil brush?  Could try it on plain paper.  But the centers of the A and a could be a problem.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

Quote from: Oldguy on May 14, 2020, 10:07:45 PM
Ah man, just when it was going so well.  But nice recovery.  I'm not a big fan of stencils, for that exact reason.  Did you try using a stiff stippling or stencil brush?  Could try it on plain paper.  But the centers of the A and a could be a problem.
Thanks Bob , it's not too bad I guess.

Haven't tried stippling yet , might do that next time . The problem is that when you do it with real light spraying you have to do so many sprays ( because the wood brick sheet just absorbs so much ) that the template has to stay on way too long and because of the absorbance  the paint bleeds . Definitely going to try with an airbrush and better paint next time.

deemery

Jan, I'm thinking your airbrush paint went on way too wet.  Try some experiments, changing (1) spray distance (move further away), (2) airbrush pressure (both more or less), (3) thicker paint

And if you do this experimentation, please report back the results!!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Janbouli

I used a spray can this time Dave , from real far away so the paint would practically be dry when it hit the surface , but the bricks still absorbed the paint . This is exactly why I will do the next one with an airbrush , to have more control , and to use better paint.