Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

Wow. Haven't really experienced LED interior lighting before...very cool. Well done Bob (and Slim). This is an important development!

gnatshop

That really looks GREAT!
That Slim boy knows his LED chit and l'il Bobby is a real quick learner!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

ACL1504

John,

The LEDs really bring it all to life. What a great build by our friend! It's probably a good thing they didn't involved me in my area of expertise. See you later today!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Uh-oh.  Looks like John's hooked on lights.   8)

I gotta give credit where credit is due, the Engine House at Caldwell Junction by Fos Scale Models and the lighting is from stuff I bought from Microlumina.  I just slapped some paint on some stuff and glued it together.   :) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on August 01, 2014, 07:44:06 AM
Uh-oh.  Looks like John's hooked on lights.   8)

I gotta give credit where credit is due, the Engine House at Caldwell Junction by Fos Scale Models and the lighting is from stuff I bought from Microlumina.  I just slapped some paint on some stuff and glued it together.   :)

"I just slapped some paint on some stuff and glued it together"! Reading Bob, you are such a bold faced kidder! So, let me give credit where credit is due!

The Engine House at Caldwell Junction and the lights by Microlumina would still be in the box and package if all Bob did was slap on some paint and add some lights!

What a kidder that Reading Bob is! Next, he'll probably say he doesn't like building structures and that he is a member of the Saturday Butty Group!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

The lighting on the engine house is great.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Bntrainmaster

LOOKING GOOD !!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

cuse

I went to the Great Train Show today with low expectations. They were nowhere near low enough. Sadly, they seemed to have half as many vendors as in past years and the vendors did not have much that was of interest to me. I walked out with 3 pairs of tweezers for $10 - which was timely as mine are all bent or gunked up.

Yesterday, however, was more fruitful. I stopped by ACL Tom's place to swap my un-used Tortoises. Tom's going to weather my Blackstone loco and caboose (as well as apply C&DR decals provided by King Dave himself). I also walked out with another lovely parting gift...FSM Combo Depot built by our resident master, Reading Bob. Tom just didn't have a place for it on his Ovalix and saw me drooling. Then I stopped at the LHS to take a look at some beautiful structures from an estate sale. I ended up with the charming scratchbuilt station below. Suddenly, I am more than ready for passenger service. I even have a Downtown Deco Fallberg station in the box. I can't imagine I'll find a spot for it.

My biggest "problem" now is resisting more structures. There are so many great ones out there. I really really love an underpopulated backwoodsy feel for my New England narrow gauge layout. I've got to put on the brakes here as areas that I earmarked for more rural scenes like a pulpwood loading yard are losing real estate to urban development.

ACL1504

John,

Both stations look great! I'm very pleased I showed you the FSM station built by Reading Bob! I was going to just box it up and stroe it under the layout! Now it has a home and you have another Reading Bob structure.

I did like the blue station and it has a sort of New England look to it and looks good on your layout. Yesterday was a good day for you!

By the way, I wasted my $7 on the train show today as well.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

I tried to call you with a warning about the show!

Thanks again for yesterday!

John

ACL1504

Quote from: Cuse on August 02, 2014, 03:33:24 PM

John

John,
The Judge and I were there around 10:15 and at Smokey Bones eating at 11:15. I did find a couple of DVDs from Green Frog and the Judge found some unpainted seated passengers for the fleet. It was still a waste of time.

Thursday was fun!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 03, 2014, 08:43:57 AM
Quote from: Cuse on August 02, 2014, 03:33:24 PM

John

John,
The Judge and I were there around 10:15 and at Smokey Bones eating at 11:15. I did find a couple of DVDs from Green Frog and the Judge found some unpainted seated passengers for the fleet. It was still a waste of time.

Thursday was fun!

Tom ;D

I'm glad I skipped it and saved myself the price of admission.   :D

Urban sprawl appears to be headed for backwoods New England.  That's the problem with having such a wide selection of really neat structures available.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

GPdemayo

urban sprawl.....John will have to knock out a wall and expand into the next room  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

cuse

I would like some input if you have any...I would like to have an isolated DCC programming track on the layout. My rolling stock collection is growing and an extra bit of track (powered or not) would be valuable scenically. I'm kicking around this spot...the track would "run off" the edge of the layout, I would cut the rails and ties flush with the edge of the layout to imply continuation. It would be handy, accessible, and I really don't have anywhere else that I would consider cutting in another siding and compromising scenes I'm planning. If this is not workable, I'll probably have to figure out an off-layout solution.

Thoughts?

John

ReadingBob

What you're showing should work and look fine John.

Another option is to take an existing siding, isolate it from the mainline, and wire a DPDT switch so that when the switch is thrown one way you have normal track power to the siding but when it's thrown the other way it's your programming track.  I had a short siding wired like that on my little layout before I tore it down. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net