Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

Quote from: ReadingBob on August 04, 2014, 07:52:28 AM
What you're showing should work and look fine John.

Another option is to take an existing siding, isolate it from the mainline, and wire a DPDT switch so that when the switch is thrown one way you have normal track power to the siding but when it's thrown the other way it's your programming track.  I had a short siding wired like that on my little layout before I tore it down.

Yup,

What Reading Bob says. That's what I have. Works fine.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

John,

Forgot to mention that I really like the structures on your layout. Really captures the New England look. Maybe a little more weathering would be good. Most folks paint the building once ( when built ) and then let it get its worn patina look. Looking great.

Frank / Erieman

bparrish

Regarding programing tracks....

A DPDT switch is acceptable and safe.  to clarify............... programing should not be done on your main railroad trackage as it is too easy for commands to leak out to other locomotives.  Although decoders are supposed to be specific in listening and responding.............. programming signals can be seen by unsuspecting decoders and a command be written to all without knowing it.

So a clearly isolated siding or isolateable (is that a word Candy?) section of track is best.  There is no requirement that the programing track needs to be anywhere near your railroad for that matter.  Many modelers us a Sprog and they can be run from your computer.

I suppose if no other locomotives are on the rails but the target loco........... that is relatively safe.

Best practice.......... separate track.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

cuse

My charming little backwoods railroad is turning into Grand Central terminal. Maybe not quite...

I elected to cut in one more turnout to connect a second siding to the FMS Combo Depot. This will be my programming track (the one closest to the edge of the layout). The rails don't actually touch the turnout, so it's electrically isolated but still looks "connected". I was having a hard time with the idea of a track that was allegedly connected off-layout, so I think this looks better and gives a longer bit of track to display rolling stock,etc.

John

gnatshop

John, I think that your extra siding looks great and is an excellent idea for a programming track!

But the main consideration is "It's your railroad and whatever works best for you!"
You've come up with an excellent solution to match your needs!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

jrmueller

John. Where is Pelham and New Rochelle on your layout?  Actually it looks like you line in coming down from Brewster.  Clever idea on Grand Central Terminal. It felt like trains could get lost when the New Haven entered those tunnels.  Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

ReadingBob

John,

I'm pleased to see that little FSM Depot/Freight House found such a nice (and prominent) home on your layout.   :D   If I recall correctly I put small bulb inside of the station.  We can consider replacing that with some LED's and current limiter if your interested.  I think the roof of the station is removable (part of George's design so you could see the interior detail).  I'd have to take a closer look to see what's possible.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

cuse

I would be very interested, Bob. and yes, the roof is removable and there is a big, fat lightbulb in there. I did cut a hole in the benchwork below and pulled the (very short) wires through. It appears the wiring snakes under the awning and exits below the "closed door" structure. I assume the process should be done before I do any further "planting"? So far, I just filled the gaps with a little WS spackling.

Let's talk...John

ReadingBob

Quote from: Cuse on August 06, 2014, 09:56:45 AM
I would be very interested, Bob. and yes, the roof is removable and there is a big, fat lightbulb in there. I did cut a hole in the benchwork below and pulled the (very short) wires through. It appears the wiring snakes under the awning and exits below the "closed door" structure. I assume the process should be done before I do any further "planting"? So far, I just filled the gaps with a little WS spackling.

Let's talk...John

Sure thing.  We might be able to add the LED"s with the structure in place on the layout.  I just need to take a closer look at it.  It'll depend on whether there are any additional areas we want to light up.  The main building should be easy enough.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

BandOGuy

Quote from: ReadingBob on August 07, 2014, 02:06:19 PM
Quote from: Cuse on August 06, 2014, 09:56:45 AM
Let's talk...John

Sure thing.  We might be able to add the LED"s with the structure in place on the layout.  I just need to take a closer look at it.  It'll depend on whether there are any additional areas we want to light up.  The main building should be easy enough.   :D

Don't forget to take a fire extinguisher along when you go exploring.  ;)
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

cuse

Pretty eventful weekend with two kids going to the same college (on separate days), 23rd wedding anniversary, and school starting for the little guy Monday. I managed to sneak in my Model60 tonight in the form of weathering a depot I purchased from an estate sale from the LHS. The station is scratchbuilt and looks perfect...I'm not a fan of perfect on my layout. I spent some patient time prying up individual shingles from the prominent roof and then applied my usual heavy-handed drybrushing and some application of various Bragdon powders to the walls and decking as well as some drainage patterns on the roof. There's a before pic somewhere recently on this thread.

John

gnatshop

That depot looks great!  I love the weathered and worn look, particularly the roof!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Darn, what are you doing?  Takin' the entrance exam for the Satiddy Butty Gang?  8) 8) 8)

ACL1504

John,

Great job on the depot! The weathering looks great.

Gman, John don't need no zam fo da Satiddy group! He's one of the founding six!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

I'm glad there is no entrance exam.....nice weathering job John, that's an interesting looking station.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

cuse

I've started to rough in a rocky coastline around my new corner depot. This is the area that I had to expand to accomodate a broader curve radius. My plan, as of this second, is to position Executioners Rocks (at least the big Sailmaker building) on the inside of the loop. I would likely elevate it on a pedestal of rock, concrete, and earth, in the same vein as Doug did on his display.

John