Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

Gnat's always welcome at the hotel, but since he'll likely be traveling by freight car, he'll need to carry his trunk up those stairs!
:P

deemery

Quote from: Cuse on November 25, 2014, 06:57:50 AM
Gnat's always welcome at the hotel, but since he'll likely be traveling by freight car, he'll need to carry his trunk up those stairs!
;D ;D

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Had a great time Sunday.....the layout is loooking great.....your new steamer is really nice and sounds great too.....see you next time.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 24, 2014, 09:56:19 PM
Tom,
Thanks for sharing the photos with us.  That steamer sure looks at home dragging those freight cars thru the trees. 
John,
Beautiful modeling, you have really captured the barren tree technique. I really like the way the hotel is shaping up with  the long stairway and deck.  What are you planning to do with the freight doors?
Bob,
Beautiful job on the FSM station, sure looks at home on John's layout.

Thanks Jerry!  I built that one around 30 years ago.   :o  I really enjoy seeing it on John's layout.  It found a great home.   :D  I need to figure out how the heck I can replace the grain of wheat bulbs I put in way back when with LED's.  I spoiled John by lighting up the engine house with LED's.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

oldbloodhound

Nice job on the hotel and the location.
It was very common to have double doors in hotels leading out to the deck.   But they would have glass in the upper part.   I would remove the cross buck bracing and put a full glass panel in for the upper 2/3.   The bracing just doesn't look right and being up on a hill it may show.
8)

gnatshop

WHAATT?
You mean to tell me that faincee hotel ain't got no bellhops!!!
Guess I'll have to bring along my personal bellhop, Darnell Ledbetter!   Hope that faincee place at least has some spittoons! ;D ;D :D

ACL1504

Quote from: PennsyJ1 on November 24, 2014, 07:54:01 PM
Mr. John, thanks for having us over to see your progress, we loved the different venues on the layout . We need to get you up to our neck of the woods. Kris really liked some of the things you have done, now a Scenic Express order is in progress.  Do you ever think the Gman will  make it to Floridy

Bill,

I was good to see you and Kris on Sunday. I'm glad ya'll finally met the Cuse. He definitely needs to see what you and Kris have been doing on your layout.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 24, 2014, 09:56:19 PM
Tom,
Thanks for sharing the photos with us.  That steamer sure looks at home dragging those freight cars thru the trees. 
John,
Beautiful modeling, you have really captured the barren tree technique. I really like the way the hotel is shaping up with  the long stairway and deck.  What are you planning to do with the freight doors?
Bob,
Beautiful job on the FSM station, sure looks at home on John's layout.

Jerry,
You are very welcome and thank you for stopping by for a look.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: gnatshop on November 25, 2014, 02:22:16 PM
WHAATT?
You mean to tell me that faincee hotel ain't got no bellhops!!!
Guess I'll have to bring along my personal bellhop, Darnell Ledbetter!   Hope that faincee place at least has some spittoons! ;D ;D :D

Gman,

You come on down and I'll carry your carpet bag! ;D ;D ;D

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I had time to do a few more pictures.

It does look a little bit cold doesn't it?

The red switcher is warmed up and ready for some switching at the station.

I think this is a neat scene - looking down the river. Dang the Judge and Greg always trying to get in the photo.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here's another FOS structure built by Reading Bob!

In the photo above you can see the C&DR RR yellow boxcar and log car built by Dave F. of  Daytona Beach.

The next picture shows the abandoned "N" scale track.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

Here's my take on the Foscale Distillery background structure. I pushed the Hotel St. George to a nearly finished state by adding the roof, adding some finials, and building the deck railings and canopy. It could use a bit more powder weathering and some patio furniture. I also have a couple of primed castings that I still need to finish and add including a nice chimney or two.

John

jrmueller

Neat project. I'd like to sit on the porch with a beer and watch the trains go by.  Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

jerryrbeach

John,
I like that porch.  It reminds me of photos of the grand hotels in the Catskills of upstate NY.
Jerry

cuse

Thanks Guys...I wish I'd had that awning done before the SBG visit - I feel like it came out well.

Yesterday and today, I did a bit of unglamorous work. I landscaped a couple of long stretches of homasote. I still need to clean the tracks and add more layers of detail including debris, ties, etc and lots and lots of trees. Eventually, I intend to drybrush the ties and finally ballast. I best not wait too long on ballast as the weeds are really taking over.  ::)

Next up...likely a kit or some dockwork.

Hearing Reading Bob gripe about Jordan vehicles has got me pretty shook up...I've got a bunch of them in my future as I strive to getting a little more era appropriate.  :o

John